Railroad Forums 

• Ferromex power in NY

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#984420  by roadster

Sunday evening I noticed an Esatbound BNSF grain train tied down on track 3, at CP 429, Depew, NY. The power was 2 Ferromex engines on thye point. A GE with an EMD trailing. Tonight the train was tied down on the siding at Fonda, NY, behind the Dollar General. Nice and unusual paint for NY. Good luck, to catch em before it's recrewed.
 #984524  by lvrr325

24 hours to get from Buffalo to Fonda, must not be a high priority train...
 #984871  by CamJay

This train is headed for Ayer MA & there was no hurry to move it along as Pan Am's mainline East of E.Deerfield yard was OOS until this morning.
 #985439  by scharnhorst

both of these units up here for some service work at GE or did the Mexican Gov. run out of cash and now leasing them out??
 #985443  by roadster

Well, that explains, why it was tied down in Fonda. The units happen to be assigned to a BNSF grain train as pool power. Nothing more significant than that. Isn't FerroMex a sub of KCS now?
 #985477  by lvrr325

I won't go into great detail, but it's been several years since Mexico privatized it's rail system by selling it in big chunks to other carriers, including KCS, which is why TFM and Ferromex units show up as run-throughs once in a while - and why you see some units in KCS grey with TFM lettering.
 #985520  by MP366

Ferromex is owned by Grupo Mexico, a private holding company. Their locomotives seem to be built to BNSF standards, hence the reason you typically see them on BNSF trains and occasionally run throughs such as the G344 that went to Ayer.