Railroad Forums 

• Bad Track Repairs Cancel AOE Mexico Trips

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#177059  by Scoring Guy

I just found out yesterday, that the American Orient Express has cancelled its trips through Mexico's Copper Canyon, because the repairs done to the tracks didn't appear safe enough for AOE to risk it.
In another posting in the forum, "AOE Derailed in Mexico", I reported that in late February of this year ('05) that an AOE train derailed in Mexico because of track failure, and apparently the repairs aren't the best. I don't know whether this effects the AOE Mexico trips scheduled for Feb. & Mar. of '06, or any of the other passenger trains on that route, such as the Sierra Madre Express or the motorhome train.
The bad news for me is that I was origianally booked on that AOE Mexico trip, for March of '05, and I was rebooked for a (now cancelled) AOE trip thru Mexico in November 1 - 7 of '05. They offered a replacement trip for those same dates, the "Rockies & Sierra's" trip (S.F. to Denver) but I chose not to take it because there is so little time aboard the train and only on the Amtrak CZ route (which I've done several times) plus most of this trip is done via buses going to national parks (which I've also been to, and bus ridin' sucks).
I'm still going to do (albeit a rebooked version) the connecting Amtrak trip (from my home in Wisconsin) I had scheduled around the AOE trip (their AOE thru Mexico trip would started and ended in El Paso) - I'll pass on a quick report in this forum when I return.

#177146  by David Benton

Thats bad luck . Hopefully the track will be brought up to a standard that will allow passenger trains to return .
Certainy the nature of the terrain means any derailment has the risk of "going over the side " , and its a long way down in parts .

#178339  by Gilbert B Norman

Confirm; from one who has "been there done that" during April 1975, albeit hardly riding an equivalent of the AOE but rather a CHP Fiat DMU Autovia .

In places, it IS a long way down.