Railroad Forums 

• Humboldt Industrial Park

• The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad (reporting mark RBMN) (a.k.a. Reading and Northern Railroad) is a regional railroad operating in eastern Pennsylvania. Website: http://www.rbmnrr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad (reporting mark RBMN) (a.k.a. Reading and Northern Railroad) is a regional railroad operating in eastern Pennsylvania. Website: http://www.rbmnrr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1397401  by rr503

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was a list of rail customers in the Humboldt Industrial Park.
Also, the RBMN and NS seem to have a plethora of interchanges. Is their a primary one, or is it just which ever one is closest?
 #1397423  by pumpers

The June issue of Railpace had an article about the R&N Humboldt operation. It said there are 70 companies in the park, 10 currently served, 9 more w/ sidings but not being used, and 9 more empty sites for development that can get rail. Scanning the article, of the 10, I see International Paper, Pro Con warehouse, Karchner Logistics, Cargill, & Quad Graphics. Can't help on the other 5. In 2014, 4600 cars were handled, before the takeover. JS
EDIT: I missed one. Add "Vita Line"
 #1401008  by CaptainHaddock

Also, it looks like they serve Office Depot, First Quality Nonwovens, Freedom Corrugated, Graham Packaging, Pretium Packaging, and Worldcolor Hazleton. I don't think that Pro Con is an active shipper, but I might have missed something. I have that same issue, I usually buy a magazine on sight if it has the RBMN in it. (I subscribed to TRP mostly because there's a lot of RBMN articles by Mike Bednar in it.)
 #1401554  by pumpers

Thanks for the rest of the list. My Quad Graphics is the same as your Worldcolor I think. QC bought Worldcolor about 5 years ago.
Regarding ProCon, I was going by what was written in the Railpace article or the picture captions ( not that Railpace always gets it right, and things may have changed since the article was actually written...)
 #1402312  by pumpers

Good question. It's well known NS is trying hard to prune the system of light traffic lines, but they kept the industrial park right next to Hazleton I believe (not sure of the name, Valmont?), so they presumably are still running from Allentown up to Hazleton every day still anyway. And it would seem they are keeping a track from Allentown all the way to Hazleton mostly just for that traffic. (Is there any other significant traffic north of Allentown? Is NS still running the daily round trip through the Lehigh Gorge ? ) And I don't imagine that the industrial park next to Hazleton is generating that many more carloads than Humboldt. So I could see them getting rid of both industrial parks (and giving up the line from Hazleton through Weatherly down the the Lehigh River (M&H junction?), or even all the way down to Allentown), or neither, but not just one of the two industrial parks. But I'm just an armchair quarterback.