Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern in Griffin, GA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1041948  by rustyshackleford

Hello all. I am considering a career switch, and looking into the Class 1's in GA. I see that NS is advertising for conductors in Atlanta and Macon, and am hoping that somebody in the know can fill me in on which to apply to if I want to one day either be based out of Griffin, or have my rest hours there (if that is even possible). I have been lurking for a bit and sort of understand how things work, but I don't know much about NS's system or divisions. I know there is an expert on here that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
 #1042202  by Gadfly

Well, first of all, consider this: You *may* be able to achieve some of this IF you get assigned to that particular division where Griffin is accessible. However, remember that you will be going to the bottom of somebody's "extra board" most likely which means the WORST assignments and the WORST rest days (if any).
Unless you are extremely lucky, you will get the bad runs and the bad rest days for AWHILE. If you get assigned to some distant division, it's going to be tough to get to Griffin often due the travel time (and gas prices these days). Gud luck.

GF
 #1042270  by Georgia Railroader

You wont be ''based'' out of Griffen, as it's an outlying point, it is a part of the Georgia Division though. The Griffin District jobs are protected by guys who's seniority is covered under the Atlanta/Athens,Southwest Side. Their home terminal is Macon, but they have no seniority in Brosnan Yard. They have locals based out of Macon, as well as mainline trains that run to Albany and Columbus. They have slowed way down, and you wouldn't stand for work for a long time. If I were you I would try for the Atlanta South End District. They're home terminal is Atlanta but they work a lot, they're about the only side that works constantly in this area. Most all districts out of Macon are slow as hell, as they have overhired. Lots of guys are working only once a week.

Just depends on what you want in a job, if you have a steady job making decent money you might want to stay put unless you are willing to move.