Railroad Forums 

• Schools offering Railroad Skills Training Courses

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#826564  by gp80mac

I meant 9-5 jobs that are not on the railroad. Isn't exactly a job hunter's paradise lately. And good luck finding anything with decent benefits and good pay anymore. Still one factor the RR has on their side - and they know it.

The point being - having a 2 yr degree is not going to hurt your chances of a RR job.
 #829130  by hamdizle

I don't think going to choo choo u does any good...nor do I think that having a 2 or 4 yr degree makes any difference in getting hired for train crew....If the company u applied with wants u it's not cause of some diploma...I don't have no fancy degree and neither did 13 of the 15 people who got hired with me in new hire... The rail road looks for certain types of people...and apparently I fell into that group....the people that were hired that took a railroad class had to take all the same tests and do all the same crap as everyone else...so whats the point? No class can substitute hands on experience. And that's what matters....boo-ya
 #830627  by hamdizle

freightfan wrote:Has anyone here attended their freight conductor course or know of anyone that has (or heard anything about this)?

It's 7 weeks, $4,800. I know CP asks if you've taken this program.

Here's their link: http://www.dctc.edu/future-students/pro ... nology.cfm
Don't even bother.....A couple guys that I hired out with took that course.....And in the end they had to do all the same crap as we did that they teach u in new hire class....so don't waste you're $. And when you're hired by a railroad in the twincities thats where they send u...Of course the railroad has their own instructors they use not the colleges...
 #856442  by BNSF-Conductor

Any one here been there? reviews? stories? A good friend of mine says he is going to go there for conductor training, I keep telling him he should just keep applying and I even gave him a copy of the resume I used to get hired so he has a template. I probably would have gone myself had I not been hired. It's his money I'm just hoping someone has some insight that I might be able to share with him!!! (I told him he should work for NS lol)
 #856820  by Gadfly

I it may be irrelevant, but IMHO, these "railroad U" schools are for the birds. I had never heard of such a thing until I started reading here. The idea that someone will PAY thousands of $$ to hold a job the company will train him for is just absurd. Save yer money! I don't think it gives you any edge. Every job I ever held or bid in on NS, the company trained me for and gave me so many weeks to "qualify" on it! They even have their own little "railroad boot camp"! :-D

GF
 #856852  by matawanaberdeen

Gadfly wrote:I it may be irrelevant, but IMHO, these "railroad U" schools are for the birds. I had never heard of such a thing until I started reading here. The idea that someone will PAY thousands of $$ to hold a job the company will train him for is just absurd. Save yer money! I don't think it gives you any edge. Every job I ever held or bid in on NS, the company trained me for and gave me so many weeks to "qualify" on it! They even have their own little "railroad boot camp"! :-D

GF
ditto
 #866821  by freightfan

Re: RR schools in general, if you have things going against hiring you (from the RR's point-of-view), then it's probably a good idea to pursue them. It will give you a jump on the other employees if you get hired. Most classes have lots of tests, as will the roads. I have also noticed that UP has now added a question "Have you ever attended a railroad school?" (or something like that) to their job criteria. Probably not a kick-out question, but I'm sure it puts you in a pile that will be examined before the others. If you've attended and passed one of these classes, it should give your furture employer confidence that you will also pass the exams in their class. Plus, they may shorten your training period. BNSF (with NARS) and CP (with DCTC) also ask if you've attending such classes.
 #909827  by Trainguy73

The RR Conductor program at Dakota County Technical College was started at the request and support of the Union Pacific and Canadian Pacific RRs. The curriculum was developed by UP & CP training managers. The instructors are retired conductors & engineers. The course includes hands-on activities practiced at the on-campus railyard. It is true that you will be required to participate in company training when you're hired but, you will be more comfortable and confident. The RR recruiters give extra consideration to DCTC grads. Some RRs shorten the training period for DCTC grads or use them as tutors for the slower learners.
 #1025476  by SeaSalt

gp80mac wrote:I meant 9-5 jobs that are not on the railroad. Isn't exactly a job hunter's paradise lately. And good luck finding anything with decent benefits and good pay anymore. Still one factor the RR has on their side - and they know it.

The point being - having a 2 yr degree is not going to hurt your chances of a RR job.
The US Merchant Marine pays very well and you do not need a degree. It is not a 9-5 job either!
 #1026256  by supernova1972

dmandavid wrote:Im just trying to earn a 2 year degree. That way atleast I have a greater chance of getting selected for testing and interviewed over the guys who have high school degrees. Way things are now im thinking taking a conductor class. I put an few apps into BNSF and NS, they never called me in for testing most likey since the way things are they want experiance guys.
Sorry bro but a degree is only gonna get you a leg up in outside hire management. Two years of outdoor work or being on call is much better looking to most railroads. You don't need a degree for this job, they train you you how they want to train you and most don't like previous training or conductors from other RRs. Chances are they didn't call you because you don't have the work experience they want. I would say 95% of the guys I went down to REDI and hired out with were from manual trades, farming, construction, manual labor, mechanics, I was a plumber and HVAC tech. Same with with a buddy who went to an NS open hiring session. They didn't give a shit about his degree but where very interested in his on call experiance working on HVAC units.

I'd be willing to bet my pay for a half that if you could talk to a hire up who wouldn't lie they would tell you you'd have a better chance if you quit college and worked outside all year for a year and then applied.
 #1028280  by SeaSalt

supernova1972 wrote:
dmandavid wrote:Im just trying to earn a 2 year degree. That way atleast I have a greater chance of getting selected for testing and interviewed over the guys who have high school degrees. Way things are now im thinking taking a conductor class. I put an few apps into BNSF and NS, they never called me in for testing most likey since the way things are they want experiance guys.
Sorry bro but a degree is only gonna get you a leg up in outside hire management. Two years of outdoor work or being on call is much better looking to most railroads. You don't need a degree for this job, they train you you how they want to train you and most don't like previous training or conductors from other RRs. Chances are they didn't call you because you don't have the work experience they want. I would say 95% of the guys I went down to REDI and hired out with were from manual trades, farming, construction, manual labor, mechanics, I was a plumber and HVAC tech. Same with with a buddy who went to an NS open hiring session. They didn't give a * about his degree but where very interested in his on call experiance working on HVAC units.

I'd be willing to bet my pay for a half that if you could talk to a hire up who wouldn't lie they would tell you you'd have a better chance if you quit college and worked outside all year for a year and then applied.
Sounds about right to me. I figure with a Class A CDL, formal training in mechanical crafts working with LP/HP boilers, diesel engines/Gen Sets, piping/pumps/valves, HVAC etc and I have worked for years in a transportation field where I pull 12 hours days, 7 days a week, for months on end and work all hours in all weather conditions, I should be able to get a job offer from a railroad... Just gotta decide on a class 1 or a shortline... And if and when I get outta my current line of work... And if I think I would prefer to work in the mechanical side in a shop or in train crew service...

Re:

#1350443  by jkell1234

Guest wrote:Get a job on the NS, they send you to school for free and pay you the whole time. They even pay your travel and meals while you're at school. Can't beat that deal.

-r
The problem with this scenario is getting a job. Its next to impossible if you don't seem to know people that know the right people.
 #1357118  by slchub

jkell1234 wrote:
Guest wrote:Get a job on the NS, they send you to school for free and pay you the whole time. They even pay your travel and meals while you're at school. Can't beat that deal.

-r
The problem with this scenario is getting a job. Its next to impossible if you don't seem to know people that know the right people.
That is not always the case. I applied for the Union Pacific while I lived in Atlanta. I was given the opportunity to hire on with them in Salt Lake City. I knew nobody in Salt Lake City nor anyone who worked for the UP. A few years later I decided that nationwide seniority sounded good to me so I applied with Amtrak not knowing anybody and was given the opportunity to come on-board as well.