Railroad Forums 

• From conducting freight to peoples...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#993766  by gp80mac

Anyone here make the jump from freight conductor to passenger conductor?

Pros, cons?

Just curious. Can't remember this topic being discussed anytime lately.
 #993843  by AEM7AC920

I was never a freight guy but I rather deal with the people vs being out in the elements walking a 100 car set in the elements.
 #994064  by Jayjay1213

I have worked in freight as a conductor and engineer, and passenger as only an engineer. I was also a "Hammie" as you are before I moved back to NYC. If you are given the choice between the two, I would jump all over the passenger. Granted I speak of the railroad I work for, and gossip I hear from buddies on a few other passenger railroads here in NY, but management is way more laid back then freight. The money is a hell of alot better. Schedules are more predictable. I definetly get bored running the passenger trains, it is not railroading like freight is, but its still steel wheels on steel rails...
 #994280  by COEN77

AEM7AC920 wrote:I was never a freight guy but I rather deal with the people vs being out in the elements walking a 100 car set in the elements.
With equipment today a trainmen might have to walk the train only once or twice a year on the mainline. The days of hot boxes every other trip are long gone. Those old journal boxes back in the day were a pain. In Richmond most trains were get on and go with just a crew change. Road switchers are still out there most are preferred jobs because of the OT. The locomotives are better example if low water becomes a problem it corrects itself by limiting power output instead of totally shutting down.
 #995892  by AEM7AC920

COEN77 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:I was never a freight guy but I rather deal with the people vs being out in the elements walking a 100 car set in the elements.
With equipment today a trainmen might have to walk the train only once or twice a year on the mainline. The days of hot boxes every other trip are long gone. Those old journal boxes back in the day were a pain. In Richmond most trains were get on and go with just a crew change. Road switchers are still out there most are preferred jobs because of the OT. The locomotives are better example if low water becomes a problem it corrects itself by limiting power output instead of totally shutting down.
Thanks for the tip. I would still rather stick with the passengers at least i am in my own bed everynight.
 #995926  by COEN77

AEM7AC920 wrote:
COEN77 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I would still rather stick with the passengers at least i am in my own bed everynight.
I don't regret finishing out my carreer on freight. I often wondered if I should have went over to Amtrak when they took over manning the trains. Everyone I know that went doesn't regret the decision. It wasn't a bad deal a person had 18 months to decide to stay with Amtrak or go back to the freight railroad. The biggest problem would of been the possibility of having to move near Wash D.C., Hinton WV, Charlotteville Va, or somewhere in between. That's one of those "should of, could of, would of" issues. lol
 #996610  by gp80mac

Well, I'm home everyday already. Still haven't gone to loco school (5 yrs and waiting...), but it may happen in the next 5 years (hopefully). I think I'll stay where I'm at. Probably would be a lateral move, anyhow. Plus this way I can show up for work in my dirty old sweatshirt and pants and nobody cares....
 #996696  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

I don' think I would post here if its been 5 years and no Loco school. They will find you soon.........(been there ,didn't do that)just sayin'....lol