Conductor Pay

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

boaz
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Conductor Pay

Post by boaz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 am

Hello, I am new to the forums and I have a question about Conductor's pay. NS corp states that though freight is approx $182 per day that is an average of around $22 an hour why is this pay lower than most all craft jobs? The rate progression is 6 years compared to 2 years craft or if you pass the test you may become "top out in craft in 3 weeks" according to the website for any craft job. Seems to me, someone who knows nothing about RR operations, that a Conductor's job seems more dangerous and the hours of operation are the worst and you are away from your family more than a craft position, but you are paid the lowest of most all jobs at the RR. Just curious. Thanks

COEN77
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by COEN77 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Their paid by milage not an hourly rate.

JerseyShore16
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by JerseyShore16 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 pm

boaz wrote:Hello, I am new to the forums and I have a question about Conductor's pay. NS corp states that though freight is approx $182 per day that is an average of around $22 an hour why is this pay lower than most all craft jobs? The rate progression is 6 years compared to 2 years craft or if you pass the test you may become "top out in craft in 3 weeks" according to the website for any craft job. Seems to me, someone who knows nothing about RR operations, that a Conductor's job seems more dangerous and the hours of operation are the worst and you are away from your family more than a craft position, but you are paid the lowest of most all jobs at the RR. Just curious. Thanks
If you haven't gotten any Job Offers from NS I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more concerned about getting the job than the pay. They aren't going to put you through training and months of salary training pay to screw you. Trust me

boaz
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by boaz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. Just as above I am new and I have no clue of how RxR work just what the website states which is per day. Honest question. P,S sorry for the double post.

Georgia Railroader
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by Georgia Railroader » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:23 pm

JerseyShore16 wrote: They aren't going to put you through training and months of salary training pay to screw you. Trust me
You're new to the railroad I see. Give it time.

Georgia Railroader
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by Georgia Railroader » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Getting back on track, where you hire out will determine how much you will make. Hire out in a busy terminal with an extraboard that turns and you can open up your pockets, the company will fill them up. Or if you hire out of a terminal that doesn't see as many trains, you may sit on the board for days without working.

The more miles a job(train) pays the more you make. The lower milage trips pay a little less, but your overtime kicks in sooner, some in 8 hours.

I cant speak on what people in other crafts make, I can tell you that I work with guys knocking down anywhere from $40-100K a year.

boaz
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by boaz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:17 pm

That helps I would like a job with the railroad, was just curious as to why the other jobs seem to pay more with a higher slope of pay progression. Now I can see where and why the conductor has a higher pay potential than the others based on terminal. Thank guys. Slower the terminal get a craft job, try for conductor with busier terminal.

Georgia Railroader
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by Georgia Railroader » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:03 pm

boaz wrote:That helps I would like a job with the railroad, was just curious as to why the other jobs seem to pay more with a higher slope of pay progression. Now I can see where and why the conductor has a higher pay potential than the others based on terminal. Thank guys. Slower the terminal get a craft job, try for conductor with busier terminal.
Now I'm not trying to persway you one way or the other, just wanted to give a little insight from someone who has seen it. Go with your gut. MOW is tough work, mechanical probably a little less back breaking. Train service is just what I've always liked, done a little MOW. Dont mind the hard work, just wasn't my cup of tea. Either way, there is some good money to be made out here.

esprrfan
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: Toledo

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by esprrfan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Like someone said your paid milage per trip rate my current rate is 330.00 each way, another pool I sometimes works pays 375.00 each way. As a new hire you get 80% of that.

THX 1138
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Conductor Pay

Post by THX 1138 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 pm

For some reason, Norfolk Southern has been posting this for months (or longer):
ENTRY RATES: After establishing seniority, train and engine service employees are subject to a 5-year rate progression, after which they will receive full rates. The rate progression is as outlined:

1st year 80% of full rate in class of service working
2nd year 80% of full rate in class of service working
3rd year 85% of full rate in class of service working
4th year 90% of full rate in class of service working
5th year 95% of full rate in class of service working

To progress to the next highest level in each step, employees must perform a minimum of eighty (80) tours of duty during the preceding 365 calendar days.

BASIC DAY FULL (100%) HOURLY RATES OF PAY: Conductor (CO) / Engineer (EN)

Yard Service – CO $203.52 / EN $209.60
Through Freight – CO $181.60 / EN $200.88
Local Freight – CO $182.16 / EN $201.44

** First year pay, after training period, will be 80% of these full rates and will progress as detailed above. Rates effective January 1, 2011, and are subject to change July 1, 2011.

My wild guess was an intern wrote hourly when they meant daily. Still had that doubt in my head because I don't know anybody in the business around here.

Return to “Employment”