Railroad Forums 

• Training pay

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1160569  by jefferyc22

Bump for update. I start classroom training on monday for UP train crew. What is the pay? Supposedly we get a $1000 stipend. My class is 120 miles from home so I bought a cheap motorhome to stay in during the 4 weeks......
Hotel : $75 a day X 30 days = $2,250 !......no thanks
 #1160773  by NewGuy2013

I just hired on in January for Roseville service unit (Northern Cali down to Bakersfield). Initial classroom training pay is $10/hr, and even if you're there longer you're only getting paid for 8 hours a day, M-F for a whole month. If you're training is more than 45 miles from your hire location you'll get something like $1300 or $1350 stipend to pay for the hotel.

After classroom you'll go into OJT and make 85% of whatever the job pays. So somewhere between $165 and $210 a day depending on the specific job you work.
 #1445629  by DeAngelisRjr

so i have my own delema. I am on the east coast and will have to move for this. Do you get room and board money during ojt? i am going for the rawlins wyoming position. training is in cheyanne. when would i have to get a place out in rawlins? money is tight and bills are high. really want to take the job but lot is at stake. i need all the info i can get.
 #1482277  by JCB

When I went to a BNSF hiring session in July they told us they had upped the training pay to $194 a day
 #1486598  by Engineer Spike

Usually if they send you away from the terminal for training, then the company picks up the tab. I initially hired out over 20 years ago. My job was in the midwest, and I’m from New England. I did need to set up a home near my terminal. They sent me to Kansas for training, and the company paid for that lodging, and a food stipend.
 #1489982  by brim0628

Figured I'd post just in case someone happened to stumble across it. I just started for BNSF as conductor. Chicago division. Pay is $188/day. Training is 15 weeks, 48 hours per week. So far we have worked 8am to 5pm with hour lunch. We are supposedly drawing seniority "numbers'' somewhere around week 7 or 8 i think. Apparently there are a few other conductor classes that started the same day as we did. So we were told there will be a "conference call" to do a double blind number draw. One drawing to figure out the order that you will "draw" your real seniority number.