Railroad Forums 

• TV show seeking railroad conductors, engineers and crew

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#872441  by revealtvproject

Hi everyone-

Mike was kind enough to let me post on here regarding a new prime-time series looking for real people to profile. Our first episode is focusing on people who travel often, most likely for work, and have two lives- one at home and one on the road. I'd love to hear from any members of the Railroad.net forum who might be interested in participating. We're offering a very generous appearance fee for any chosen participants.

Here's a link to our website for more info:

https://sites.google.com/site/castingfrequenttravelers/

Please let me know of any questions and/or interest. I can be reached via [email protected] or the number below.

Thanks,

Bill Hinkle
323-308-2505
 #872442  by slchub

"Do frequent trips allow you to lead a secret life?"

I'm not too sure how many T&E crews lead a "secret life" at the AFHT. The last thing I have time for when I get to the hotel is "lead a secret life".
 #872446  by Jersey_Mike

This sounds like one of those bottom-feeding "reality" shows that pollute the airwaves these days. I suggest no real working person should have anything to do with it.
Not necessarily. It sounds like its more in the vein of Ice Road Truckers and similar shows that just want to profile people with demanding jobs that the family doesn't get much access to. I think we are just jumping to the conclusion that "secret life" means drunkenness and debauchery, when it reality it will mean a challenging work environment.

I think the best bet for the show would be to profile someone in Amtrak's LD pool. The corridor jobs are very easy by comparison consisting of a round trip or two between one's home base every work day. The LD crews will often spend odd nights bunked up at a remote terminal. Service personnel take it one step further and have to sleep on the train and at the remote terminal. Any piece on these employees could be made as interesting as anything else on cable TV. See the "Unruly Passengers" thread for examples.
 #872447  by Jeff Smith

Original topic approved by Mike, who suggested Amtrak forum to OP as it has high volume. We may move or delete the topic at some point, but I defer to Mike's judgement on this. I have not vetted this.

I was going to lock as a one-off post/request, but changed my mind over the course of the weekend. Feel free to share feedback if you are approached or approach the producer as your discussions allow.

Jeff
 #872448  by revealtvproject

Hey everyone, thanks for the interest in our show. I wanted to stress that this isn't your normal "bottom-feeding" reality show. It's a well-intentioned project with the intent of allowing individuals and viewers understand what it's like having two lives- one at home and one on the road. As I mentioned, we're offering anyone involved considerable compensation.
 #872450  by Jtgshu

YOu might wanna clarify which type of second life you are looking for, as there are several hahha

There are basically two "types" of differnet lives - those who work in freight (or long haul pax, like Amtrak) who are gone for sometimes days on end at an outlying terminal, and then the commuter guys who might be on duty for 14 plus hours, with a huge break in the middle of the day, but always make it home at the end of the day.

Some of those guys do have regular "friends" and "rountines" whie they are on their swing, as well as doing lots of various things during that time as well (second jobs, etc). Some old timer railroaders on really big jobs might only be home for 5 or 6 hours a day adn the rest of the time is spent traveling to/fron work and then working - example, get up at 330am, get ready for work, leave at 4am, an hour drive to work, sign up at 5am, work til 10am, go on a 7 hour break, then work from 5pm til 730pm., then go off duty at 8pm, an hour drive home , get home at 900pm

Only actually home for 6.5 or so hours, most of that time, spent sleeping.

The "needs" of each spouse are usually taken care of by others, both the railroader and the spouse, and the spouce is just happy collecting the huge paycheck at the end of the week.

But then you have the freight guys who might be away for 2 or 3 days (or longer) at a terminal hundreds of miles from home. They might be visiting their friend those days, living a whole ohter life, while back home, visting the wife and living that life.

It happens alot, and I would be very interested in seeing this project.

I can't help ya, I don't like those big jobs, I like short ones, and I work on call anyway, and hell, I barely have 1 life, I can't imagine having 2!! hahahha
 #872451  by Jeff Smith

Mod Note: I've exchanged a few very pleasant (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically) emails with the OP, and although not "vetted" in a traditional sense, am willing to let the post stand on its own. He even allowed for my usage of the term "railroadania". :wink:

As always, with any links, offers, etc. posted here, caveat emptor, but I feel no reason to doubt the sincerity of the OP. If I, or Mike or Otto, did, we'd delete it or post an advisory.

I will cross-post to the "classified" thread, and continue to feel free to respond.
 #873064  by chemin-de-fer

There's another category beyond employees, which are the contractors. We do training, flagging, consulting, hiring, whatever the railroad wants, and travel constantly. I haven't had a steady home base in years, not for lack of trying. I've had the term "boomer" applied to me more than once, had to look it up the first time. A group that would also be of interest would be system road gangs. There are also the crews that run rail grinders, the Sperry Rail Car people, and those who accompany special loads and ride with the crews during the entire run the load makes.
 #873586  by Gadfly

There was a story about an engineer whose wife was at one end of his run, there was a girlfriend at the OTHER end. Somebody tipped off the wife so she got on the passenger train and rode to the interchange! :-D HE didn't KNOW she was aboard! It's said there was an awful row at the other end of the division. Awfullest "cat fight" you ever seen! LMAO!!!!

MEOOOOWWWWW!!!!! HIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :-D

GF