Railroad Forums 

• UP Train Dispatcher

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#669924  by MeliNic25

How do u even apply to become a dispatcher for UP?? Everytime I check their website they never have any open positions yet I know they just started a new training class in January, I've been checking for the past year. I used to work as a dispatcher for Renzenberger, Inc. drivers not too long ago and was told about the position by a UP dispatcher I used to work with but no longer have contact with. HELP?!?
 #670965  by ellisd

All UP job openings are posted on the website. It's the only way to get hired. If it's not there, they're not hiring.
 #675252  by hattrick

The class they started in January was made up of field managers that were going to lose thier jobs. They offered them positions as apprentice dispatchers instead of giving them the pink slip. As for future hiring of train dispatchers off the street, it is going to be a while. We have a surplus right now in all locations. Also, as traffic volumes decline some desk are getting combined and realigned. Don't give up hope, but know that it will be a while.
 #802206  by sunshine81

hattrick wrote:The class they started in January was made up of field managers that were going to lose thier jobs. They offered them positions as apprentice dispatchers instead of giving them the pink slip. As for future hiring of train dispatchers off the street, it is going to be a while. We have a surplus right now in all locations. Also, as traffic volumes decline some desk are getting combined and realigned. Don't give up hope, but know that it will be a while.

I know this is an old post, but I'd just like to set the record straight...It actually wasn't a class of managers that were going to lose their jobs...there were a few Corridor Managers in there in which that was the case, but the rest of us chose to learn a different aspect of the business.
 #802280  by hattrick

Well, either way some people were released and others were offered an alternative. Regardless, it was a good move for those who took the dispatching opportunity. We still have a surplus but as new projects come about and traffic volumes increase, that is always subject to change.