Railroad Forums 

• BNSF strength test/physical

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#587150  by fergyparts4u

I just recently received a conditional offer of employment with BNSF pending all of the background checks, physical, and strength test. Could anybody tell me what to expect for the strength test ( in detail ) and what the physical is like?
 #589074  by ArkansasAlex

I can only say how my strength test went down, but I am sure they are all the same. You are just tested on knee and shoulder strength. For the knee, you will do leg curls, and extensions. And for the shoulder, you hold your arm to your side, lift it strait up in front of you, then push it back down to your side. There is resistance both ways for both of the test, and they told me your score comes from effort, so the BNSF lady told me to try to break the machine (I tried, but no luck)

hope this helps
-Alex
 #589278  by rightnow1

Does BNSF not monitor your heart rate? For UP my husband's heart rate was monitored, and he almost didn't pass because he was so nervous that his heart rate shot up.
 #590825  by chopblock

Here's the deal as far as BNSF anyway...the strength test is given to measure consistancy between your left side/right side. They are concerned with discovering previous injuries, not how strong you are.