Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1456917  by DutchRailnut

basically it says that you fit the criteria of the job listing, don't get to exited , railroads do not move fast.
don't start telling your old boss yet your leaving, cause it could take months .
 #1457523  by HeyApplebox

I recently got invited to take Metro's M of E Railcar electrician test but it doesn't specify what will be on the test so I was wondering if it's more of a general test like reading comp/math/idk tool identification. It's making me super nervous. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 #1458295  by john johnson

Im currently a conductor for a major railroad in the tri State are. Fully. Fra license certified I recently applied for the conductor trainee post with metro north i was wondering will i get preference over other candidates who are not licensed also will my railroad time transfer over? This is my 3rd time applying hoping for a call back
 #1458305  by DutchRailnut

yes you would get preferable consideration, as for Metro North you would be new person.
yes as for railroad retirement if you were working for a contributing railroad your time would count.
 #1461651  by raith1985

HI Everyone,
I took an exam for the Rail Traffic Controller Trainee position which I passed. Now, I have been called for the interview by the end of this month. I am little nervous about the interview. Is there anyone who has already experience being interviewed for this position? or What the interview is gonna be about?
Thanks
 #1463958  by RearOfSignal

MNR uses a randomized recruitment process. So out of the 30,000 applicants with the last posting they will randomly select (via computer) a few hundred or so to move on with the process. Since it is random the system may look over those who are more qualified. Only a small percentage of those who apply even get called.
 #1464053  by belvin555

So you are saying they let a computer select the people they want to test not even knowing their experience that is crazy. Also when they post a job for locomotive engineers I hope they don’t let a computer pick the people to take the test because they will be not smart, but who knows I applied for that job and haven’t been called and I have 10 years experience so it must be going on for all train and engine jobs at MNNR.
 #1464085  by RearOfSignal

belvin555 wrote:So you are saying they let a computer select the people they want to test not even knowing their experience that is crazy. Also when they post a job for locomotive engineers I hope they don’t let a computer pick the people to take the test because they will be not smart, but who knows I applied for that job and haven’t been called and I have 10 years experience so it must be going on for all train and engine jobs at MNNR.
It's done in an effort to eliminate nepotism and increase diversity.
 #1464086  by DutchRailnut

never heard about computers , but after some serious bribing and nepotism was uncovered they farmed out the pre selection to a outside un named firm.
they still read each and every application and drop people that do not make grade.

is family still being hired, yes but you need to disclose it and of course they still need skills required.
 #1464878  by Nintendo22

Hi everyone! I just have some quick questions. So I applied for a coach cleaner position awhile back and took the test, background check and interviewed in August. After the interview they told me to please be patient and that the interviews are being conducted for jobs opening up sometime in 2018. It kinda bummed me out and I kinda figured that it was a nice A really nice way of turning me down. So I didn’t really think anything of it but last week I got an email about a class coming up on April 18th and if I was interested in still being “considered”. I was curious as to the wording?? Like does that mean they want me to test again and go through the entire process? I immediately wrote back stating I was absolutely interested in being considered. They then sent me another email with an application to update because they said after a year, the applications expire. Do you guys think I’m starting the entire process over again? Does being “considered” mean like they are kind of offering me an opportunity for orientation? Thanks for reading my long message.
 #1465831  by truck6018

If you still what it, do what they say. Probably a formality, updated application with another background check just in case unfavorable things happened in the past year. If you don't do it, then you are sealing your own fate. While I don't know for sure, I would think since you are already on their radar since you were interviewed, this would put you to the front of the line.
 #1468849  by Lauriaj

Good Afternoon everyone. I have some questions regarding employment with the MTA Metro North Railroad. I been applying for several years (around 2010 or 2011). I know from previous threads, that someone asked about the “my application status”. My question is that some of my applications have a pass pre-screening which I applied to several years ago. I’m wondering if anyone would be able to give me more information?

The second question is that in all the years that I been applying, I never heard anything one way or another whether I would proceed in hiring process or was rejected. My late father, with whom I share the same first and last name and mailing address was employed with the MTA Metro North until his death in 2012. From time to time, I receive information with regards to benefits. My question, is there a possibility that my application is being mistaken for my late father or even a current employee ( as I indicate in the application that I’m not a current employee).

Thank you in advance for all your help
 #1470996  by csamperi

** Lauriaj** I have been applying for 8 years and just recently finally got an email for an interview.I also thought maybe i was getting mixed up with my 2 brother.One is a conductor and the other works for the port authority who happens to have some negative things on his background.I say hang in there or keep calling the MTA Bussiness Service line to get answers.

So for me,i was just notified about scheduling an interview for T&S Tinsmith.I have a few questions.What does “T&S” stand for? This position is considered a “sheetmetal/tinsmith” position,so i just figured thats what T&S stood for or is that incorrect? Also,with this position does anyone happen to know or know anyone who has been through the interview and practical testing? Im sure i can figure out the interview,but was hoping to get ahead of the game and find out what is actually involved in the practical skills test for sheetmetal worker/tinsmith.Anything would help! Thanks everyone!