Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1420995  by briandiana

ok another question. i had back surgery 5 years ago.. 4 verterbrates fused. i have no issues with the surgery full recovery, I'm very active with Crossfit. Do I need to disclose any of my surgeries? Is this something they pick up in the background or medical evaluations?
 #1421103  by belvin555

Metro north hiring practices are crazy they always take forever and when they are ready to hire you they give you a weeks notice that's what happened to me and I am good at what I do. I am an engineer. Wasn't giving my job a weeks notice because you never know what the future holds and I really wanted to go to metro north, but the railroad I am with gave me an opportunity and wanted to give them at least two weeks notice.
 #1421180  by Steamboat Willie

Belvin, if you applied for employment with Metro-North, it is that the grass is greener on this side verses where you stand now. And based upon the one week's notice, is that you were an alternate to a prior candidate. I think you turned down an opportunity you may regret in the future.
 #1422414  by briandiana

Hi group:

What does it mean on the profile page that under "Disposition Status" it changed from 'Applied" to "Pass Screening" I guess this mean that I will soon get a call or a email to move onto the next step of the hiring process? Would anyone know the timeline? I guess that would be difficult to answer since we don't know the scheduling outlook for this particular position,
 #1425174  by Walbeb

I have a question for someone that works for Metro North or may possibly know the answer. I currently work for a class 2 freight railroad as a conductor. I've been there for a year and was thinking of making the switch based off assumptions that may or may not be false.

I imagine that I would be home almost everyday as the 3-4 nights a week in a hotel are starting to takes it toll, I don't mind the long hours and really love my job but being physically away from home is not for everyone. Looking to see if I'm correct or wrong on that.

I'd also think that since 'peak time' is during the day that overnight shifts aren't as common. Being in the freight business you're looking at 10+ years of seniority before you're able to work half during the day half at night, but I'd assume most trains run during the day on the Metro so day shifts are much more common.

Also, will my freight experience help or hurt me? I don't know if they like hiring conductors from other railroads or if they like fresh off the street newbies so they don't bring any bad habits over. How long should I wait before applying, I know I've only been at my current place for a year and I don't want to give the impression that I'm jumping ship for no reason, which is why I'm asking these questions here.

Thanks in advance everyone.
 #1425294  by Jml61989

Hi group,

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I have applied to numerous postings for metro north and some of jobs I applied for my disposition status went from "applied" to nothing at all. I was wondering if anyone knows what that means? Or if it's a good or bad thing? I'm kind of new to applying for jobs because I've recently got out of the Navy after 8 1/2 years of service so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!!
 #1425499  by crunch704

Speculation only... based on using the MTA/MNR site since Oct 2015 to get a job... it means nothing. I have been rejected for some jobs; I have not been contacted for others; I am in a pool for one, where I took the Physical Agility Test last month. In ALL cases, the status you mention doesn't reflect anything in reality (at least anything I can see).