Railroad Forums 

• Train Dispatcher/Controller Jobs

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#559059  by CO2

Hi all,

I'm interested in becoming a train dispatcher/controller. I recently graduated from Embry Riddle's CTI program for air traffic controller hiring eligibility with a B.S. in Air Traffic Management and minors in International Relations, Human Factors, and Aviation Safety.

Does anyone know of any companies currently hiring or, arguably more importantly, know of any companies interested in hiring someone with my educational background?

Also, does anyone have advice on job security and the likelihood of finishing a full career with the same organization?

I appreciate any info,

Zack
 #559060  by DutchRailnut

CheckMTA site , Metro North is hiring Rail Traffic Controllers (dispatchers)
 #559075  by MNRR_RTC

CO2 wrote:Hi all,

I'm interested in becoming a train dispatcher/controller. I recently graduated from Embry Riddle's CTI program for air traffic controller hiring eligibility with a B.S. in Air Traffic Management and minors in International Relations, Human Factors, and Aviation Safety.

Does anyone know of any companies currently hiring or, arguably more importantly, know of any companies interested in hiring someone with my educational background?

Also, does anyone have advice on job security and the likelihood of finishing a full career with the same organization?

I appreciate any info,

Zack
I work for Metro-North in New York as a Rail Traffic Controller. Send me a pm and I will answer any question you may have.
 #559105  by COEN77

Check the CSX website. They're relocating an hiring Train Dispatchers around the system. Two places I know of off hand is Huntington, WVA and Baltimore, MD. They had centralized dispatching out of Jacksonville, Fla and are breaking it up into 5 different locations around the system.
 #559116  by Xponder

BNSF is hiring from external sources for DIspatcher. http://www.bnsf.com/careers/jobs.html

Job Description:

BNSF Railway Company is headquartered in Ft. Worth Texas and operates one of the largest rail networks in the U.S. with 35,000 miles of rail lines operating through the 28 most western states for over 150 years. The dedication and commitment of our over 40,000 employees have made us one of the largest transportation businesses in the United States with more than $15 billion in annual revenues. BNSF is a Fortune 200 company with our best still ahead of us.

BNSF is a dynamic company that moves the products and goods that move your world. For more information about our company, our culture and our opportunities, visit us online at http://www.BNSF.com

EXTERNAL CANIDATES ONLY WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.

ANTICIPATED CLOSING DATE: Posting will remain open until positions are filled.

ANTICIPATED START DATE: SEP 15, 2008

POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Approximately 15

WORK LOCATION: BNSF Headquarters, Fort Worth, TX

We seek candidates for the above geographic location ONLY. If interested in other geographic locations, please visit the BNSF career website and apply directly to those locations when/if available.

SALARY/BENEFITS: The entry rate is $225.18 per day. BNSF employees receive an annual benefit package valued at $22,000.

#559149  by CO2

Thanks for the info all,

I applied with MTA and BNSF, but I'm not sure how receptive they'll be since I'm not currently an Air Traffic Controller. I'm planning on starting in ATC if these jobs don't pull through; however, I don't know how likely I would be to switch from ATC to train dispatch later in life when I'm secured in a location with the FAA.

I checked CSX's website and they don't seem to have a posting at the moment, I'll try checking back in the future.

Once again, thanks for chiming in,

Zack
 #559162  by CO2

This is the remnant of an older message that was integrated into this employment thread and is no longer needed.
Last edited by CO2 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #559653  by Komachi

Zack,

I would think that having had the experience in the aviation industry would be a big seller for you, but I'm not "in the know," so to speak.

Let's move this to the Employment Forum where wise sages can better help you find the answers you seek.
 #560600  by BayArea Badboy

Xponder wrote:BNSF is hiring from external sources for DIspatcher. http://www.bnsf.com/careers/jobs.html

Job Description:

BNSF Railway Company is headquartered in Ft. Worth Texas and operates one of the largest rail networks in the U.S. with 35,000 miles of rail lines operating through the 28 most western states for over 150 years. The dedication and commitment of our over 40,000 employees have made us one of the largest transportation businesses in the United States with more than $15 billion in annual revenues. BNSF is a Fortune 200 company with our best still ahead of us.

BNSF is a dynamic company that moves the products and goods that move your world. For more information about our company, our culture and our opportunities, visit us online at http://www.BNSF.com

EXTERNAL CANIDATES ONLY WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.

ANTICIPATED CLOSING DATE: Posting will remain open until positions are filled.

ANTICIPATED START DATE: SEP 15, 2008

POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Approximately 15

WORK LOCATION: BNSF Headquarters, Fort Worth, TX

We seek candidates for the above geographic location ONLY. If interested in other geographic locations, please visit the BNSF career website and apply directly to those locations when/if available.

SALARY/BENEFITS: The entry rate is $225.18 per day. BNSF employees receive an annual benefit package valued at $22,000.

Good job,great pay,some stress at times.......BUT, you'll be working for free for the 6 month(14 week) training period......you don't get that 225.18 until AFTER you qualify.So have another job available to support yourself while training.
 #560646  by MNRR_RTC

That can't be right.
 #563318  by ATCBOY

The average BNSF dispatcher makes almost $80,000(more $$ than UP) their first year on the job. I have a interview this week with BNSF and they are flying me there, renting my car and paying for my Hotel FREE! Thats how you take care of people! I be damn if I dont get paid for school. I have a good friend thats also a air traffic controller that didnt get called for the interview. I must be lucky! So, you might as well stick out the FAA bud cuz they wont hire you without 2 years experience. Me and my boys all resigned from the FAA its horrible right now but im sure it will get better. If this dont work out then i will be back in the FAA since they are so desperate for controllers! whoo hoo
 #563349  by ATCBOY

There was a guy that told me that CSX paid more than BNSF but after confirming it with 2 actual employees BNSF pays more. GO BNSF!!!!!!!
 #563446  by trainwreck

Not 100% true. CSX Jacksonville pays more than BNSF, but CSX Albany and Indianapolis pay less. This is based on basic day's pay, not overtime. CSX Jax and BNSF will be close after 2009.

I've worked with and/or for all three.
 #564239  by ATCBOY

hey trainwreck, do u know of how much BNSF sipatchers make after the $225/entry rate? $225 a day is about $28 an hour and that isnt bad at all. Im guess it jumps up to about $300 a day after your certified? or is that too much?
 #564823  by CO2

I doubt I'm going to stick it out with the FAA at this moment. Everyone I know in the FAA is looking at leaving and the FAA Human Resources department is constantly delaying my application on faults of what seem to be general incompetence. I'm testing for a Union Pacific position right now, as well as several law enforcement agencies, Air Force officer training, and a different type of dispatch. My candidacy for all of these positions looks good, but it's disappointing that ATC is the way it is.

The FAA is in a sad state. The worst part is, they're pushing off the street applicants ahead of me for PEPC scheduling and forcing me to do the traditional method simply because they delayed in sending me information on PEPC even though I've sent them all of the paperwork they've ever requested from me within hours of its request. It seems like someone who graduated with honors by focusing his cash on a private aeronautical university education focused on air traffic control and traffic management would have some type of priority, but alas, none at all.

Good luck with BNSF, let us know how it goes.