Railroad Forums 

• info request about working as Switchperson or Brakeper.at UP

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#500189  by andrea

Hello! I'm a trains lover, i'm from italy (i born in italy and i live in Italy), i'm interested to go to usa and enter working in UP in the entry-level position of Switchperson or Brakeperson, then if i'll be able becoming a train conductor ( i haven't any previous railroad experience, i want learn this job) . Is there anyone in this forum who works in U.P railroad and he can help me, or give me some useful suggestion (or knowing someone who can help me)? On Union Pacific web site/jobs i read about the requirements for this position, one of the requirement is: being able to prove that you are a U.S. citizen or that you are authorized to work in the United States. This is one of the obstacle for example.
Inform me please! thanks! Greetings!
Last edited by andrea on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

#500192  by Burner

Yes you have to be able to prove that you are legally allowed to work in the United States. I think language may be another obstacle for you. You have to be able to read, write, speak, and comprehend fluent english from people.

There arent really many brakemen / switchmen around, they're all conductors now.

And I think it may be wise to remove your E-Mail address from your post as spam bots are always on the prowl.

#500248  by andrea

Burner, thanks to have replied to me, i ask another thing to you: I come from another country, so you think it's better i go to some u.s railroad accademy as Modoc or Nars offering Railroad Skills Training Courses?? Perhaps if i'll start in one of these accademy, then it will be easier to get some Visa..and i could enter in U.P later. What do you think about? Which railroad accademy do you advice to me?! Thanks greetings!

#500268  by Burner

The academy subject is kinda touchy...

There are some people who have paid thousands of dollars to a RR School and have failed to obtain a job with a class 1.

I was hired off the street without going thru choo choo U and I have had no problems at all... So overall I would not go to choo choo U.

#500282  by b372_xt04

Damn burner.....you are WAY too brutally honest....LMAO.
I come from in the U.S. and A.....HIGH FIVE!!!!!!

#500495  by Burner

b372_xt04 wrote:Damn burner.....you are WAY too brutally honest....LMAO.
I come from in the U.S. and A.....HIGH FIVE!!!!!!

lol... No point in beating around the bush, giving people false hopes of work when there is none...

wait a minute... The UP Does it every day... hmmm maybe I was wrong...

lol