Railroad Forums 

• BOOTS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#467226  by YAT-YAS

I was reading about the boots you are supposed to have prior to starting work. Does anyone reconmmended a certain brand. I read the the sole has to be 6 inchs? And does the boot have to be steel toe?

#467232  by Rule Breaker

I would recommend a quality boot. Many suck up the price on a pair of Danner's or Red Wing. Steel toes are required when working on bridges but I wouldn't work without steel toes.
The height of the boot must be a minimum of 6", measured from the sole. An 8" boot provides better ankle support when walking on ballast. Here is a snippet of something I recently received from NS in regard to proper footwear that may help you. Note the bold area. This differs from the NS rules for agreement workers but the rest is the same. Pay close attention to the heel angle:

[3] Protective footwear:

[3.1] Upper portion must be constructed of leather or leather-like material that provides firm ankle support and fits snugly about the foot, ankle and leg. Footwear must be 6 inches minimum in height as measured from the bottom of the heel to the top of the uppers.@ Soles and heels must be sturdy, non-leather and in good condition. Boots need to have a steel-toe.

[3.2] Must have a defined heel of no less than a 45 degree angle to the walking surface with a minimum height of 3/8 inches as measured between the bottom of the heel and the bottom of the sole.
It is recommended that employees whose duties regularly require ascending/ descending ladders, poles, structures and/ or mounting/ dismounting rail equipment wear protective footwear having a 90 degree heel as measured vertically between the bottom of the heel and the bottom of the sole.
 #480159  by Lehighrrgreg

Steel toe?

When did this change? I know we need them to work over the D&H but is that an NS rule? (My books are in my locker so I cant get to them)

#480175  by rob216

Thats a new one to me about steel toe. What I was told is that you dont need it. If something was going to happen, the steel wont do a darn thing to protect your toes.

#480214  by Orgnoi1

I know personally I use the Chippewa line boots which have the high heel... I find that standing on ladders and such are easier... they are steel toe and run about $145-150 for the pair... my girlfriend purchased R'Wings for about $160 and it was hard for her to find a size though...

One thing I will say is to plan on buying early and wearing them for a while... even though I am a "weekend warrior" running only on a scenic line it took about 3 weekends of wear to break them in to where they werent cutting into my ankles...

just some food for thought...

#480228  by thefoyboy

Good topic and one that caught my eye. Are steel toes regulated by each individual company? I recently received a conditional offer with BNSF and began looking at boots. Of course, my primary concern right now is not only compliance but maximum warmth being in Minneapolis and all. Suggestions from the voices of experience?
 #480251  by Rule Breaker

Lehighrrgreg wrote:Steel toe?

When did this change? I know we need them to work over the D&H but is that an NS rule? (My books are in my locker so I cant get to them)
The NS rule has not changed.
Employees working on bridges are already required to have steel toed boots.
OST/MT personnel (as shown in my post above), regardless of department, are required to wear steel toed boots.
Management is required to wear steel toed boots.

If you don't work within Track/B&B, management or a management trainee, you do not have to wear steel toed boots, however, I personally would not risk wearing anything but steel toed boots.

#480267  by powerpro69

UP will pay half the cost of your boots, if you get Steel Toe, but they aren't a requirement!

#480297  by thebigc

Let's continue this workwear discussion here.