Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Wages?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#442088  by Yeehawz

Anyone know what kind of salary a Conductor or similiar title with Conrail can produce in the New Jersey area?

And do they hire directly or is their recruiting outsourced to CSX or Norfolk Southern?

#442130  by charlie6017

<Moved>

CR

#442134  by BigMike

I thought Conrail was sold many years ago???

#442184  by thebigc

Conrail Shared Assets operates much of the trackage in Northern NJ and trackage in the Detroit area. Maybe Philly, too? Not certain about that...

#443726  by Yeehawz

bump.. bump

anyone on Conrail conductor wages? I'm just not sure if they coincide with CSX and NS because they're obviously a smaller operation..

thanks

#443739  by Yeehawz

Forget it.. I just spoke with Conrail.. apparently a conductor or trainperson as they call it, starts off at 15.93 an hour which is 75% of their daily payrate. Conrail only guarantees 40 hours a week and since they are a shortline road, trainpersons do not travel. Even with overtime, which I'm not sure Conrail can even guarantee, their wages are just not competetitive against NS and CSX.

40 hours x 16.00 (rounded) = $690.00/week

I'm pretty sure CSX and NS pay more than $690.00 a week at 40 hours starting off and I bet both CSX and NS can offer conductors overtime at most yards. I may be speaking ignorantly here, but I don't know how many hours Conrail can offer past 40. Plus, being it's a smaller operation, I bet the extra board is heavily stalked. :(!

#443874  by gp35

Yeehawz wrote:Conrail only guarantees 40 hours a week and since they are a shortline road,
You did not understand what 40 hr guarantee is! This means that even if you don't get called at all, you are guarantied 40 hrs of pay per week. I am pretty sure that there is plenty of overtime available for people who want it.
NS does not have guarantied extra boards for trainman, therefore you aren't guarantied even 40 hrs of pay.

#443890  by zoomdude

im a conductor with conrail in detroit now. they have guaranteed boards and ur home every night. u cant beat it. theres overtime here in detroit if u want it im sure its the same in jersey. the management does not bother u as they do on ns or csx. as long as we get the job done and no one gets hurt everything is fine. full pay in detroit here is 23.50 or close to it for conductors full pay. im not sure about jersey

#444378  by Brakey

I think more railroads should go to the hourly wage agreement like we have on the CN (GTW boy here) :)

I know CSX's extraboard for post 85'ers is 75%...when I left is was around $1560 a half. Right now I make a weekly guarantee of $1475.. :/

#444446  by powerpro69

Right now I make a weekly guarantee of $1475..
Where and how?

#444460  by DutchRailnut

Those must be Canadian Rupees

#444504  by Brakey

powerpro69 wrote:
Where and how?
CN Grand Trunk District

#444804  by Yeehawz

Brakey wrote:
powerpro69 wrote:
Where and how?
CN Grand Trunk District

You make $1475 a week with Conrail? At what % daily pay? I don't see how that's possible even at 90%.

#444831  by BigWeb

Yeehawz wrote:
Brakey wrote:
powerpro69 wrote:
Where and how?
CN Grand Trunk District

You make $1475 a week with Conrail? At what % daily pay? I don't see how that's possible even at 90%.
CN is Canadian National. Funny how he twisted your conrail pay question into a CN pay brag.

#444837  by Yeehawz

but even so.. if those are canadian bucks.. the current exchange rate is what, $1.03(CDN) to $1.00(US). So you're still looking at around $1430 a week?