Railroad Forums 

• BNSF conductor trainee interview testing?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#362642  by cessjack

I've recently been contacted for an interview with BNSF the the position of conductor trainee. Evidently they have a screening test of some sort... (?) Does anyone know what the test(s) consist of, and is there a good way to prepare for them? Anything would be of great assistance!

Thank you,

Jack

#363462  by Hawko

When I took the test in 2005 for the BNSF. It was called the TCAT (Trainman/Conductor Aptititude Test) There was a basic math portion and a questionaire portion which asked you about your attitude towards safety, working with others etc.

#363608  by DrawbarFlats

It's been 9 years since I hired but on the interview just give them what they want to hear. It's safety, safety, safety!!

One question I was asked, was what would I do if I witnessed a co-worker violating a rule.

Would I blow it off, talk to the individual or rat him out?

When I gave an honast reply in that I would talk to the individual an old head who was with the other five boomed at me in a deep voice, ''wrong answer''!

I then re-canted and said I would turn him in, the old head just grinned and nodded.

Guess that old head liked me because I would have blown the interview.
Just give em what they want to hear!!!

The math test is a joke. If you can add, subtract, divide, multiply and figure out percentages, your all set.

Btw, If your hired, don't ever blow in a co-worker to management. If it is a serious issue then take it up with your local chairman or other union official. Keep it in house so to speak. Just don't tell them that during the interview.
GOOD LUCK----And just be ready to live out of a suitcase and cooler for awhile. :wink:

Oh yea, they will do a drug screening.

#397032  by pariswright

I went through a BNSF interview and testing process in Jan 06. The tests were just basic math and a questionaire. The interview is what through me off. I got asked one question that I think blew it for me because I wasn't sure how to answer. Maybe someone here could help me.
The question was:
Your supervisor tells you to do something that you feel is unsafe. What do you do?

The answer went like this with more questions asked:
I would tell the supervisor I felt it was unsafe.
The supervisor says do it anyway.
I would go to the supervisor above him.
He says its fine so do it.
After a pause I replyed, I wouldnt do it. I wont do anything that would risk myself or someone else.

Was that the right answer? Can I get someone elses opinion please?