Railroad Forums 

• Why work for MBTA?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#349438  by AEM7AC920

I must say some railfans that are buffs lose some of the interest once you work for the railroad. Once you work for the railroad it just becomes another daily thing after a bit. On the other side you have some railroad workers that don't know what the heck your talking about when you talk about a F40 or a P42. :wink:

#349479  by Guilford Guy

AEM7AC920 wrote:I must say some railfans that are buffs lose some of the interest once you work for the railroad. Once you work for the railroad it just becomes another daily thing after a bit. On the other side you have some railroad workers that don't know what the heck your talking about when you talk about a F40 or a P42. :wink:
well you my friend still have it
PS sorry you no longer have your layout
 #349857  by B&M 733

"Railfans make the worst railroaders"
I've been hearing that rubbish for all of the 33 years I've been working on railroads, and USUALLY by people very junior to me, sometimes by jerks who were BORN after I went railroading.
By the logic of that myth (and I'm not saying that it isn't occaisionally true),
ANIMAL LOVERS make the worst VETERINARIANS,
HETEROSEXUAL MALES make the worst GYNOCOLOGISTS,
only men who HATE FOOTBALL 9or at least dont care about it) and be good professional football players !
 #349865  by jg greenwood

B&M 733 wrote:"Railfans make the worst railroaders"
I've been hearing that rubbish for all of the 33 years I've been working on railroads, and USUALLY by people very junior to me, sometimes by jerks who were BORN after I went railroading.
By the logic of that myth (and I'm not saying that it isn't occaisionally true),
ANIMAL LOVERS make the worst VETERINARIANS,
HETEROSEXUAL MALES make the worst GYNOCOLOGISTS,
only men who HATE FOOTBALL 9or at least dont care about it) and be good professional football players !
There's a vast difference from railfans, and foamers. I don't seem to recall the acknowledgement of the existence of railfans/foamers 30-years ago. And yes, IMHO, foamers often DO make the absolute worst railroaders. They know everything there is to know before they pull their first pin.

#350143  by GP40MC 1116

In my opinion, even if railroaders are "railfans" with all that said, they're is a big difference from "knowing it all" say if you worked for the MBTA, and say just being activeley excited and happy about your job and you enjoy what you do.
I can say I know alot of different aspects of the MBTA, as it's been a big interest of mine since being a child, but it would reflect porly to supervisors and others if i was a jerk and saying "ohh I know it all, because simply I don't by far" People respect you more if you show the Initiative and willingless to lean more about something, rather than act rude, coky and a know it all, that i believe only would hurt your perfessonal immage.
This reminds me of some people I worked with in my fire service background, not firefighters per say, but kids like myself students who had a interest in being a firefighter/EMT or firefighter/paramedic. Well, this person gave the impression and acted at my local firehouse to the department members like he knew it all and he was the best at everything, after a while the student members and department firefighters and personel, got the drift and really did not like this person one bit, it just goes to show you that as I am sure most of us realize, being that "know it all" can REALLY hurt your chances in life at times
Very simply no one person can possibly know everytihg about the MBTA or any transit system in the entire world, as we all know, no one is perfect
 #350627  by RailBus63

jg greenwood wrote:There's a vast difference from railfans, and foamers.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, true get-a-life foamers leave such a bad impression among railroad/transit employees and the public that all buffs tend to get lumped in with them. It's the main reason that I keep my interest in this hobby very low key to non-fans.
I don't seem to recall the acknowledgement of the existence of railfans/foamers 30-years ago.
Oh, they were definitely well know in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Green Line operators had a nickname for fans - 'ferns', which stood for 'f---- rail nuts'. I'm sure you can guess the first word.

Jim

#350938  by CRail

Robert Paniagua wrote:If I were with the MBTA, I'd still keep my railfan status intact, this way if I see one, I ca easily interact with them.
I think that is the best way to be. I know people on the T who are very much like that, and one guy in particular doesn't understand why other employees are rude to fans, because he apparently never had a problem with them, and he's always been willing to talk to anyone looking out the front window.

Most operators at seashore are the same way, we are very happy to talk to riders who share our interest, and like teachers, we love questions! We also get a thrill out of letting kids blow the whistle or ring the bell, the way their face lights up is priceless.

At the same time, though, I must say that my overall interest in railroading is not nearly as strong. Even at the museum after a while the thrill of operating dies down as the novelty wears off. Plus, since I take the train to work every day, it's just not the same anymore. 10 years ago a bus ride was the thrill of a lifetime. I could never understand why people would want to drive a boring car than to go on an exciting adventure on a bus or train, now, I really want a car!

#351854  by paulrail

How about working for MBCR?

It is different from working for the MBTA and I wondered about those who worked for Amtrak and switched to MBCR when the contract changed. How much difference in working for the two? (other than losing the "free ride" pass on Amtrak :( )

Paul