Railroad Forums 

• Needles, CA or Vancouver, WA- CONDUCTOR TRAINEE

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#347451  by git a holt to it

Vancouver is part of the northern line so you can only work within its seniority district but in needles you can work any terminal outside the northern lines, the odds of being furloughed are about the same at either terminal, you would have more options out of needles though

#347466  by pennsy

Hi,

I'm a bit more practical. This is January and therefore it is wintertime. Nuff said, head for the Palm trees. You are close to the Colorado River, and that is a bonus.
 #353198  by DrawbarFlats

Thrasher wrote:So I have a start date in Needles, CA but I also have the opportunity to go for Vancouver, WA. Both are conductor trainee positions- any thoughts?
Hmmmm......Lets see, what would I rather do? Live up in the Northwest, fish, hunt, breath fresh mountain air, go on nice drives with the wife, or live out in the middle of the Mojave desert with rattlesnakes and put up with summer time temps of over 120 degrees??? Needles does have a cool river however and Barstow does have Ruby's. Either way your going to be put on board 11 after Christmas.
Anyway, good luck with your training!!

Anyone want to swap promotion dates??? I'd move to WA in a heartbeat!!
 #353309  by Thrasher

thanks for the advice guys. looks like I am headed to needles after all. i was denied Vancouver. we will miss it up here. i would like to say i will just transfer back up here again someday but that whole seniority thing. oh well....I've heard needles can be a good place to work. i hope that's true, i am just happy to have a job offer....
 #353315  by DrawbarFlats

Thrasher wrote: i am just happy to have a job offer....
Ain't that the truth!!

Needles to Winslow is a decent run if ya can ''hold'' it. Good money!
With the layoffs this winter you might end up in LA depending on how quick they call everyone back.