Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#989627  by kevin.brackney

Having eaten enough MREs in my career, I can recommend from my experience that you not rely on them often or with any regularity. They are high caloric meals designed around the warfighter (who for the most part, is in his late teens, or early twenties and has a raging metabolism). They have a high fat content for the most part. There are maybe only three that I like; the vegetarian spicy penne pasta isn't too bad, the beef brisket and the chicken fajita (if heated) is okay. And while I like the MRE cheese, it's really fattening. Take food that won't spoil, or stink up the cab. Some kind of trail mix for quick energy, raw fruits and vegetables; but you already knew that.

I didn't read all the posts thoroughly in this thread, but as for clothing, dress in layers. Maybe someone already said that; because your'e going to heat up working the ground and then climb up into the cab where the hogger has the heat turned up high enough to bake bread. You are going to want to pack a roll of duct tape, because even CSX has some drafty locomotives. Other than that, I think everyone else covered it. Stick with it, and have a good one.
 #990626  by slchub

Kevin got it right! Duct tape. Our clerk has a stock room full of it for our drafty P42 motors.
 #1009162  by zac987

I have a question. Im starting conductor training on the 30th and i have a pair of Ariat lace up work boots that i have worn in a rail yard for about 6 months. They have a half inch heel on them I was wondering if i should get a logger style boot since it has a very defined heel. I would appreciate any answers?
 #1009380  by Freddy

zac987 wrote:I have a question. Im starting conductor training on the 30th and i have a pair of Ariat lace up work boots that i have worn in a rail yard for about 6 months. They have a half inch heel on them I was wondering if i should get a logger style boot since it has a very defined heel. I would appreciate any answers?
I stopped wearing logger heeled boots the day I turned my ankle over trying to change the front tire on my hy-rail after doing my monthly crossing inspections behind RickWood ball field
down from the fairgrounds at 12th St. and Lomb Ave. I think you'll know where that is. Logger boots are bad about that.
 #1009398  by zac987

Freddy, yeah i know where that is. I've worked in rail yards for 3 years but its flat surface and the Ariat or justin work boots just wont cut it. I went through 3 pairs of boots in a year. But i see what you mean with the loggers.
 #1054606  by mick

Got some Danner Quarry 8" Composite Toe boots. They are working out great, very comfortable with a nice thick sole, can't hardly feel the ballast. They have a broad toe so you can't notice the safety toe at all, but they are not the wierd looking "oblique" toe style. They are made in China, but I think they will replace my Chippewa Utility boots. Eventually, I want to try the USA made Danner Rainforest model.
 #1062832  by kevin.brackney

CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT REVISITED: As I start to mentally prepare for the eventual return to my civilian occupation, I think about all of the wonderful gear Uncle Sam has issued me: Current issue military clothing works excellent out on the railroad. I think the wet weather gear is about the best I've ever used. My favorite thing to wear in cold-wet weather is the Army issue wet weather parka with a field jacket liner underneath, along with the wet weather trousers. There are zippered vents in the armpits, and the material breathes so condensation tends not to accumulate on the body under light stress. I can tolerate cold until it gets to my feet; and I can't stand cold air on the back of my neck. I have several Army issue brown neck gaiters that I can pull up over my face. Army issue wool socks do a pretty good job of wicking moisture away from the skin, while keeping the cold out.

I stopped wearing overalls several years ago because it became inconvenient to use the "facilities," especially in the winter. Have you ever had to rely on a port-o-let when the weather is at about minus ten Fahrenheit? Our toilets in the noses of the locomotives are not regularly maintained, and sometimes you find yourself hitting the woodline and digging a "cat hole." Freezing rain is not a good time to peel out of your warm clothing because you have to let the bib of your overalls down. Carpenter pants or 511 trousers (popular with law enforcement and military contractors working overseas) with a good sturdy belt that will hold up my Gerber multi-plier tool, and my Surefire flashlight, and/or a radio. I started packing a Surefire for situations where the standard issue railroad lantern doesn't project enough light; especially handy during long shoves, and in dark, unlit yards, or auxilliary tracks where the switch targets have lost much of their relective capability. Hope this provided some inspiration.
 #1069241  by jr145

I've never used them, however a lot of people like to use the police style that have the trousers and the coat. The problem with rain coats is that they tend to soak through after awhile. And with the police ones they're usually already lime green or orange and reflective so you don't have to worry about wearing the stupid vest.
 #1069542  by kevin.brackney

jr145 wrote:I've never used them, however a lot of people like to use the police style that have the trousers and the coat. The problem with rain coats is that they tend to soak through after awhile. And with the police ones they're usually already lime green or orange and reflective so you don't have to worry about wearing the stupid vest.
I figure on eventually getting wet; either from precipitation, or perspiration. Having spent several days outside at a time, eventually everything not sealed in a watertight container gets damp. Pack a towel and a change of clothes if you expect a good soaking. Personally, I'd rather get wet from the rain, than from sweat, so I prefer wet weather gear that breathes and has vents. As long as the feet and paperwork stay dry, I'm good to go. I prefer a brimmed hat over a hood in warm/wet conditions because I can maintain peripheral vision and unobstructed hearing, while deflecting rain water away from the face and the back of the neck.
 #1069741  by jr145

Yeah the problem with hoods is they give you bad tunnel vision. As for keeping your feet dry, a good trick is to put a couple plastic grocery bags over your feet and then stuff them in your boot. Unless of course you're feet sweat easily. Myself my feet never sweat, and while I don't use the bag trick I do use waterproof boots with a decent amount of thinsulate in them. Even in the summer time my feet have always been warm and dry, even in the deepest snow or wettest rain.
 #1069852  by scharnhorst

I my self used to wear a pair of army issue Gator's to keep the snow and water from falling into my boots when I would get stuck working up in Canada on the Sperry Cars they also do a decent job of keeping your lower legs warm and dry.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/ ... 29678.html
 #1073829  by trainlvr7

Those of your looking for a good railroad grip, check out the Red Oxx "Railroad Grip" bag. Its the perfect size and fits everything you need in one bag. I also got the shave kit, and it is by far the best bag I have owned.
 #1074930  by mattyfro1973

Anyone ever wear Timberland Pro Six Inch Steel-Toe? I understand steel-toe are not required, but these boots are super comfortable. They have a metal plate in sole and are puncture resistant, shock/electric resistant, non-slip sole, etc... I tried on other boots to include Wolverine, Keene, etc.. but the Timberland Pro Series are the most comfortable. Anyone use them, have any remarks pro or con?? Thanks!