Railroad Forums 

• GENESEE & WYOMING: GEORGIA CAREERS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1511454  by CONDUCTOR556

Hello railroad.net!

This is my first post on this forum, thanks for letting me be a part of it.

I am currently seeking potential employment with Genesee & Wyoming railroad in my home state of Georgia. I saw a decent amount of Conductor positions open throughout my state, and I think It would be super cool to become a career railroader. I am currently active duty U.S. Navy, and am nearing the end of my contract which will put me at 6 years of active service. I'll be honest, I have zero railroad experience at this time. I am wondering if someone would give me some guidance on the following items:

What can I be studying to be a more marketable applicant? (Where can I find Genesee & Wyoming signals for the signal test, for example)
Do I even have a chance at getting accepted as a rookie conductor with no railroad experience?
Do Genesee & Wyoming conductors receive a salary or hourly wage, or both?
What is the approximate starting pay for a rookie conductor?

My resume` does hold some good items going for me perhaps: I was an ABE on an aircraft carrier before I converted to military police, performing extremely dangerous flight operation recoveries in the arresting gear as well as the maintenance and operation of industrial hydraulic systems. Very familiar with OSHA regulations/PPE and safety. Familiar with Lock-out/Tag-out procedures.

Thank you guys for your time, I really hope I would be a potential candidate for a conductor position.
 #1514440  by Engineer Spike

I think that you have a good shot. The railroads like vets for a couple of reasons. First, they get government incentives for hiring vets. Secondly, they like the commitment aspect of a military career. Additionally they like the do or die work ethic which the service instills.

I wouldn’t worry about learning much. They will teach you what you need to know. As above they look for people who are safety minded, and also can work well under pressure. They also like the aspect of working in any environment or weather condition.