Railroad Forums 

• New Amtrak Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1493453  by treyk119

**I apologize in advance, i'm sure this has been discussed in the past but I am new to this forum**

I am currently a CSX Engineer/Conductor. I just applied for a engineer position on the Amtrak website. I am curious as what the Pay is for a Engineer on the system and how the Seniority works. If anyone wants to inform me with the basics it would be greatly appreciated. :-D
 #1493708  by Fishrrman

Where are you in the USA?

I don't know what the daily rate is today, but back at the beginning of 2012 it was $287 (8 hours, straight time), and overtime after that*. It's probably a decent amount up over $300 by now.
* With some exceptions, depending on the zone and service type.

Amtrak has a "national seniority" roster, but service is broken down into "zones" (at least 10 or 11 of them).

If you're a certified engineer on CSX, they'll want you to go through at least some of their engineer training again, probably in Wilmington, DE.
 #1495924  by Acela150

treyk119 wrote:I’m located in Atlanta Georgia. (Hotlanta)
Amtrak has posted a job opening for Engineers in Savannah.
 #1496429  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Current full rate is $44.24/hour with our next raise being 7/1/2019 @ 3%.

If you have had your license at CSXT for 5 years you'll be at 100% from day one. If less than 5 years take off 5% per year short of 5

Seniority is National, but transferring to other parts of the country can sometimes be difficult, especially getting paid to qualify the territory. It's a double-edged sword. It can work against you if you're looking to move somewhere, but at the same time, it can protect you when senior men are trying to come to your crew base.

Being a previously certified Engineer (aka Re-Entry), your seniority date is the day you report for your pre-employment physical. All others hire for engine service, whether currently employed by the carrier in different crafts, or hired off the street, establish seniority after the last day of class at the training center in Wilmington.

How long have you been an engineer at CSXT?