Railroad Forums 

• Mechanical Laborers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1485490  by MVP

Hi

I just accepted a position of Mechanical Laborer for Norfolk Southern. I was told the primary duties would consist of: fueling the trains, checking and changing oil, loading the trains with sand and cleaning the cabs and making sure the toilets were clean and not filling up.

Just wondering what are the typical hours? Meaning is it a 40 hour per week job or is some overtime available?

What is the schedule normally like? I saw that conductors are 6 on, 2 off and on-call so is this position the same or is 5 days at 8 hour shifts?

Does anyone have any updates on the 2018 pay grade? The human resources guy said he thinks after 2 years it's $26.00 but he's not sure about the first and second year, although he believes it's 75% for the 1st and 85% for 2nd.

Any idea on how much union dues and benefits are?

Also any details on what it's like on the job for a day would be helpful. I saw forklift experience was needed and you occasionally drive a commercial truck?

I appreciate any information! Thanks guys and stay safe out there.