Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk southern medical exam

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1465651  by Ianjames16

Hello all...... I am hoping someone here can give me some insight on how long it takes to hear back from Norfolk southern after submitting all of your documentation to the medical coordinator.

I took the physical for the train dispatcher position and was told because of my BMI that I'm at risk for sleep apnea. Got evaluated and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. I had to buy a CPAP machine and undergo a 14 day sleep log that had to be evaluated and a report made on the findings of the 14 day study by a sleep doctor with recommendations if any needed and submit it.

That was handed into them about 5 days ago and the receipt of the documentation by my medical coordinator was verified by email.

I said all this to ask does anyone know typically how long it takes from the point of completing all of your medical documentation to getting a start day for Mcdonough?

Thanks in advance for any information that's given.
 #1465929  by Acela150

When I went for Conductor it was at a point where they were hiring left and right and having new classes every week. I had to wait about a month and a half. BUT.. I know someone who was hired for a Conductor job months ago and still hasn't received a date yet. So it'll be a while. I know that NS is moving the dispatchers to Atlanta which IMO is stupid.. But I don't know how this would effect classes.
 #1466048  by Ianjames16

Thank you Acela 150....... I checked the career site page on 19th and my status was changed from "offer extended" to "hired" so I guess everything on my medical checked out.

I heard during my interview from current employees about the consolidation move. I wonder how that would affect new employees? Do current dispatchers need to be re-trained?

Just looking forward to getting started......thanks again for the information. Much appreciated.
 #1466181  by Acela150

Ianjames16 wrote:Thank you Acela 150....... I checked the career site page on 19th and my status was changed from "offer extended" to "hired" so I guess everything on my medical checked out.

I heard during my interview from current employees about the consolidation move. I wonder how that would affect new employees? Do current dispatchers need to be re-trained?

Just looking forward to getting started......thanks again for the information. Much appreciated.
Current employees wouldn't need to be re-trained. The only exception is if they are working a new desk that they aren't qualified on. For instance if the dispatcher who is qualified to work Harrisburg East wants to move to Atlanta North End. Said Dispatcher would have to qualify on the Physical Characteristics of that the desk covers.

I used to work in the NS Harrisburg Division and the primary dispatchers that I would talk to at NS were NS Mainline, which is now NS Buffalo Mainline, and Harrisburg East. The only time I would talk with the Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher was if I was taking a train to Harrisburg. Which wasn't all that often. I was qualified to Harrisburg but I worked out of Abrams in the Philly area. We didn't go to Harrisburg a lot. Only if they were short on crews in hotels or crews weren't rested and I had an Engineer who was qualified to Harrisburg. In my 1 year working out of Abrams I went to Harrisburg about 10 times. Which for Abrams was quite a bit. We would normally take trains as far West as Wyomissing Junction.

A guy who I went to Georgia with and Marked up with is now a Dispatcher at Amtrak in Wilmington. He has said that working Train and Engine service has been a major help for him. Cause when you work in T&E you know what you would want the dispatcher to do. Dispatchers who haven't worked in T&E are usually some of the worst.

My suggestion is, when you're riding for PC's. Talk with the crews and learn from them about some of the stupid moves that dispatchers will do.

But part of the problem is that NS uses AutoRouter. Meaning the computer makes the choices not the dispatcher. I once was on a train to Harrisburg and was in 261 territory. We crossed over at one interlocking to run on the other track for about 20 miles and then crossed back over. We didn't pass a damn thing. Meaning the computer crossed us over for no reason. That's just terrible dispatching. If an actual dispatcher was making the choices that wouldn't have happened.

So trust me talk to the crews.