Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern hiring question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1465526  by Wayside

My point is that it's rude and completely unnecessary to disrespect someone whose background includes 21 plus years of military service including combat deployments. That particular brand of arrogance, which includes a bold assumption that I am living in some kind of fantasy world where every single railroad manager (except for Wick M.) isn't a screaming maniac or clueless intern, makes me want to puke. And I'm just being honest here as well. Good day.
 #1465540  by gp80mac

Wayside wrote:My point is that it's rude and completely unnecessary to disrespect someone whose background includes 21 plus years of military service including combat deployments. That particular brand of arrogance, which includes a bold assumption that I am living in some kind of fantasy world where every single railroad manager (except for Wick M.) isn't a screaming maniac or clueless intern, makes me want to puke. And I'm just being honest here as well. Good day.
Calm down. Nobody disrespected him or his military service. Nor did we say every rail manager is a maniac. Stop making stuff up.

And you have an even better day! :-D
 #1465598  by Engineer Spike

All the listening to others and firm but fair will go out the window after the lobotomy, followed up with gallons of the company KoolAid (Like the KoolAid at the San Francisco acid tests of the 1960s).

I’m sorry to the OP, but you don’t know railroad culture. You will be indoctrinated that the employees are all mindless sub humans. You can’t trust any of them for a second. They are totally incapable of thought.

NS is the same company that made its employees shit in a bucket, then turn it in. They were also the same company who hired uneducated, and crippled black men to be firemen, when eliminating that position was a hot topic. They wanted to show how useless the job was by using racism.
 #1465618  by Wayside

Engineer Spike wrote:I’m sorry to the OP, but you don’t know railroad culture. You will be indoctrinated that the employees are all mindless sub humans. You can’t trust any of them for a second. They are totally incapable of thought.
Respectfully, I don't think that's the case at NS these days. I mean there are unenlightened thugs in every corporate environment -- but NS really has evolved into a better place to work than it used to be.
 #1465710  by Gadfly

There's no "disrespect" meant. What I can tell you is, I LIVED that environment, the intimidation both implied and direct. Example. NS wanted to get some work agreement changes from its employees. They were going to close some shops. They already knew which ones. (Bellevue, OH and Princeton, WV). They used psychological intimidation to get what they wanted. They threatened to close any one of three shops and move the work to another. They told the Charlotte, NC employees they would close that shop while, at the same time, telling the employees at Bellevue and Princeton they would close their shops if they didn't get their way. All along the decision had already been made: The Bellevue and Princeton shops were coming to Charlotte. So when the company got the concessions they wanted, the move was made.

What IS true is, the railroad environment is like NO other you will encounter. NONE. I would go so far as to say that all one's management experience is not applicable to the railroad because it is so different. Many railroads STILL train their supervisors as tho they are drill sergeants. Not only that, they put enormous pressure on the managers up and down the line. What we say comes from the best teacher of all: experience! We don't say these things out of idle bitterness: they are true. In MY case, I have no reason to lie about it: I'm retired now. But I remember the pressure that was on ME whether it was as an operator, a station agent or mobile agent. There was always a Trainmaster or other supervisor hiding in the bushes, figuratively, to try to find something
to getcha on! If you don't believe it, just ask ANY railroad employee what "run-off insurance" is! Ask him WHY they have it. :-)
]
 #1465769  by johnnycochran45

Just to be clear, nothing in any of these posts is offensive to me. Hell, I appreciate the honesty. And I am more than capable of separating the worthwhile gouge from the senseless ranting. The fact that I know nothing about the railroad is not lost on me. If I ultimately get hired, you're absolutely right. I could get fired or quit out of shear lack of compatibility. Or, I could have a long and successful career. Either way, I'll never know if I don't try. My desire to work for the railroad is rooted in the same general reasoning that drew me to a long military career, and that reason is they both played significant roles in the building of this country, and both still remain very relevant today.
 #1465844  by Acela150

Wayside wrote:
Engineer Spike wrote:I’m sorry to the OP, but you don’t know railroad culture. You will be indoctrinated that the employees are all mindless sub humans. You can’t trust any of them for a second. They are totally incapable of thought.
but NS really has evolved into a better place to work than it used to be.
I beg to differ..