Railroad Forums 

• Please provide input for someone thinking about working for.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1425049  by Hawk

Hello I'm new here. My background is in civilian and military aviation but I'm thinking about changing career paths. The railroad interest me but I've heard some bad things. Examples are being relocated, later off and even targeted for firing. I'm 37 years old and I don't want to make a mistake that could cost my family. I know I could do the work and would enjoy it. And the long trips wouldn't bother me either but if they will fire someone with 18 years for little stuff then I don't want to take the risk.
Please let me know what your experience is with union Pacific and other companies if you can.
 #1432128  by Engineer Spike

Most of the big railroads are the same. There are head hunter managers, but there are good ones too. We are all imperfect, and railroading is high stakes. With that said, you might screw up, then get in trouble.

It seems like you always hear somebody say that he got screwed for something. Sometimes knowing the guy, you aren't surprised. If you poke at a bear, it will eventually bite. This isn't to say that some piss ant junior official isn't trying to go out to do something, and make a name for himself. There are politics here, just like anywhere else.

If you have a good job, why not stick with it? The layoffs and all are fine for a young guy. A young conductor just now got back from 9 months furlough. He still lives home. In the interim, he worked enough to get by, and did lots of fishing. If you have a family, this isn't an option. You may get lucky, and not get cut off.

Anything worthwhile takes risk. It also has bigger hurdles, in order to be successful. Only you can determine if this is right for you.