Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Transit Trainee Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1404786  by Jaydoy

Hi everyone, I am new here, I just found the site and I am hoping someone can help me with information. I have an upcoming pre-employment test day for the role of trainee Locomotive Engineer with NJT. Can anyone tell me what the actual tests consist of ? First I will tell you a bit about myself.

I just moved to New Jersey from the UK to be with my wife who is from the US. In the UK I worked on the railway for almost 16 years, 13 of those as a driver for Northern Rail and First Transpennine Express. I currently still hold my train drivers license and PTS certificate until July 2017 ( though I know these won't mean much here ) so as you can see I have experience driving trains.

The reason for posting is my question above, regarding the tests etc, in the U.K. I had to pass psychometric testing which included mechanical reasoning, listening to and retaining information, group Borden test, reaction test, suitability interview etc, the whole process was over 2 days. Is it very similar to the one i passed many years ago ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jay
 #1405364  by Jaydoy

Acela150 wrote:Also consider looking into Amtrak. They hire Engineers quite a bit.
Thank you, I did look at Amtrak, but there are no positions currently near where I live ( Montclair ), but I am happy to say, I attended the assessment today and passed, it involved Mechanical Comprehension, Retaining Information, Reading sentences and answering questions, Number sequences. Testing was similar to the UK, just no reaction testing and group borden.
 #1405816  by Jaydoy

Steve F45 wrote:They have been reposting the add for engineer for over a year. Applied every time it was posted and never got a thing for it.
I am sorry to hear that, I can only presume I was invited so soon because of my experience driving in the UK. My advice would be not to give up and keep trying 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
 #1413769  by Jaydoy

Hi guys, does anyone know how long NJT take to start their courses ? I passed everything at the end of October, I was offered the job subject to background checks, and even had my medical a week after being offered the job. Three weeks ago I had a phone call off background checks at NJT just to confirm start and finish dates with one of my old employers, and the lady said everything had been approved and was emailing HR to confirm this. Since then I haven't heard anything, I sent an email to the recruiter, just to ask if there was any updates, but I didn't receive a reply.
 #1498856  by chrishendrix

Steve F45 wrote:anyone hear anything about testing? Just curious since the position was taken down within the last 2 weeks.
Just heard back about a week ago. Going to take the aptitude prep test on 02/06.

Sidebar: anyone have any study material or advice for the aptitude Test for NJT Locomotive Engineer?
 #1498922  by Acela150

chrishendrix wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:anyone hear anything about testing? Just curious since the position was taken down within the last 2 weeks.
Just heard back about a week ago. Going to take the aptitude prep test on 02/06.

Sidebar: anyone have any study material or advice for the aptitude Test for NJT Locomotive Engineer?
Study material no.. Advice. Don't rush through it.
 #1544403  by Bklyn01

So I have a question: I applied late last year. Then my status changed to pending testing. I had no idea about it until after I got a message from the HR recruiter about waiting until this pandemic is over before they continue with hiring. Just a few days ago, I checked again, and I see that my status changed to "invited to interview". Am I suppose to get an email or letter from them about this? What is the process? Because I don't want to miss this at all.
 #1553383  by Qtransit

Bklyn01 wrote:So I have a question: I applied late last year. Then my status changed to pending testing. I had no idea about it until after I got a message from the HR recruiter about waiting until this pandemic is over before they continue with hiring. Just a few days ago, I checked again, and I see that my status changed to "invited to interview". Am I suppose to get an email or letter from them about this? What is the process? Because I don't want to miss this at all.
Heard anything back? I’ve done my interview and testing 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back yet. Guess I have to be patient. Hoping to be put into the November class