Railroad Forums 

• What's going on with CP?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1397205  by nakhsh

Hello I am new to this site but was in hopes to get some feedback. I started with CP as a conductor March 2015 to be furloughed in a mass lay off in November. Then I went to MOW in March just to meet another mass job cut in July. Now I have been given the opportunity to switch to another Class 1but will have to sever all ties to CP. I have given it my all to remain with CP but they seem to be having a lot of downsizing and wonder if another rail may be more stable. Anyone know the security of Signal positions with UP and CN? Thanks for the time.
 #1397271  by DutchRailnut

not only CP but all railroad have a down turn in traffic and are laying off people.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ps-profits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1397379  by DutchRailnut

when business slows down all crafts face layoffs .
 #1397633  by COEN77

I know someone who hired on as a trainmen in 2008 with CSX before the market crash. A year later all those hired were furloughed most never came back. She switched over to the Signal Department in 2009 and it worked out for her. It's a lot smaller department than transportation and MOW. There's always a need for signal maintainers even in slow times which also includes crossing devices. Giving up seniority established in 2015 from CP doesn't matter seeing one is at or near the bottom of the roster. Now would be the time to make a move.
 #1397649  by nakhsh

Thats what I was thinking thank you for your input. From my own research it seems like the Signalman qualification is pretty marketable as well.