Railroad Forums 

• BNSF, furlough recall, need help.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1356107  by [email protected]

quick question for any BNSF guys or gals, I was recalled from furlough by an automated msg on oct 8th and received a certified recall letter on oct 15th, the emulator and the crew desk told me that I have to return on the 13th of this month and that the certified letter started my 30 day thresh hold for me to return. My union rep said that the automated phone call on the 8th of oct started it, and then said he wasn't sure. Anyone on here encountered this or know the answer?
 #1356426  by COEN77

I worked on territories that once contacted a person had 14 days to mark up on others it was 30 days. An automated message usually isn't sufficient on a recall unless one contacted the railroad which would be the starting point of the 30 days. The registered letter definitely. Either way the notice is definitely more than enough time to give a two week notice if working outside the railroad while furloughed. Don't delay it. One day to long it could be considered as quitting. I've seen that happen.
 #1358407  by Gadfly

COEN77 wrote:I worked on territories that once contacted a person had 14 days to mark up on others it was 30 days. An automated message usually isn't sufficient on a recall unless one contacted the railroad which would be the starting point of the 30 days. The registered letter definitely. Either way the notice is definitely more than enough time to give a two week notice if working outside the railroad while furloughed. Don't delay it. One day to long it could be considered as quitting. I've seen that happen.
Why would one be "resistant" to a recall unless he was considering quitting? Heck, I got calls that I was to report off the furloughed list in 5 days to protect assignments the same Seniority list, different district. 60 miles away, too. That registered recall letter is an absolute, IMHO. You either show up on the designated date, on the district assigned or forfeit the job. Its how the railroad works! :-)

GF