Railroad Forums 

• UPDATED CSX FREIGHT CONDUCTOR HIRING PROCESS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1311106  by Miz860

Good evening all.... some of you have seen some of my post from NS hiring process. Well I applied to CSX for the 1st time and decided to start a thread about their process, here goes....

Dec 24, 2014 - applied for conductor position out of Philadelphia
Dec 30, 2014 - recieved email that I have been invited to a hiring session for the above position.
Jan 6, 2015 - I arrived at the session 2 hours early and was the first person interviewed..

HOPEFULLY TO BE CONTINUED.....
 #1311108  by rholster1

I've been checking for openings in my area for Freight Conductor. I got the email this morning after a few months of checking almost everyday, even while I was in Afghanistan, that openings popped up in my area and by lunchtime, my applications and resume was submitted. Fingers are definitely crossed. Already applied at Norfolk Southern along with Genesee and Wyoming but CSX runs right through my town.

Hope you get picked up. Congratulations and good luck!
 #1311306  by Miz860

Well here is another update. I just received the conditional offer of employment. I got a call about 30 minutes ago. I will continue to keep you all updated with how and how long this process takes. They said the anticipated start date is in February.

Dec 30, 2014 - recieved email that I have been invited to a hiring session for the above position.
Jan 6, 2015 - I arrived at the session 2 hours early and was the first person interviewed
Jan 8, 2015 - Received conditional offer of employment

#1311903  by Miz860

Thank John, yes this process has been very frustrating. All I want to do is work for the railroad. I am a disabled Vet but my disabilities do not hinder me at all with a career as a railroader. I am currently a Federal Law Enforcement Officer so I can be trusted to carry a gun but NS thiught my disabilities were too much to be a contractor. No disrespect ment for NS tho they were just doing their jobs. I'm not out of the water yet. I am currently going thru my background check and am scheduled togo to Baltimore MD for my physical and physical capabilities test on friday. Wish me luck guys..... I will keep you informed.
 #1312714  by Miz860

Well here is another update. I did the physical capabilities test and medical physical yesterday. Haven't heard anything back in regards to my background so hopefully that is clear. I assume that by the end of next week I will hear something back from HR. I have been doing every step that comes up on the website so..... all there is to do now is wait. Anyone have any pointers on REDI, what should I be prepared to take down there, how much money, drive vs fly, anything like that?

Jan 6, 2015 - I arrived at the session 2 hours early and was the first person interviewed
Jan 16, 2015 - Drove to Baltimore, MD for my physical capabilities test (man what a challenge) also had my physical done there

#1312928  by gobucks90

Hey, any pointers for the strength test? Are they checking to see if you have bad knees and shoulders or is it truly a strength test? I've watched the video and it doesn't look too bad. I'm young but skinny and i'm probably worrying about this test more than I should be.
 #1312984  by rookhoe

Im going through the same process right now with CSX. I found out that I passed my strength test, and i am now waiting to hear back about my drug screening/physical...

You should be able to keep contact with whoever initially scheduled your interview. They're likely your point of contact until you head down to REDI. So if you're curious, send them an email and i'm sure they'll let you know where you're at, as they have done for me.
 #1313052  by Miz860

gobucks90 wrote:Hey, any pointers for the strength test? Are they checking to see if you have bad knees and shoulders or is it truly a strength test? I've watched the video and it doesn't look too bad. I'm young but skinny and i'm probably worrying about this test more than I should be.
No pointers..... it's not that it's hard but more unorthodox...... it will make you feel like you did sit wrong when your done but in reality you could have done it 100% right....
 #1313209  by Miz860

LocoCam wrote:Drive to REDI, Its worth it to have wheels & they pay you for it. 45 Conductors getting hired out of Philly.
45 out of philly??? Wow how do you know this??? There were only like 13 at my hiring session.
 #1313292  by Miz860

Well here is another update. Just got word from my HR rep that I passed the background, now waiting on the physical and physical capabilites test results to come back. Anyone have any pointers on REDI, what should I be prepared to take down there, how much money, anything like that? Also I saw that a thread that said cargo pants aren't allowed but then the same thread said they were encouraged, can anyone clarify this please. Also what type of boots did people buy?

Jan 16, 2015 - Drove to Baltimore, MD for my physical capabilities test (man what a challenge) also had my physical done there
Jan 21, 2015- Passed background

Wish me luck