Railroad Forums 

• Best Class 1 to work for

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1297421  by GE45tonner

Hey everyone. After doing a lot of reading here and talking with friends who work for the railroads, I've decided to start out by hiring as a freight conductor, probably on a class 1. I'm single and flexible, so I won't mind the crappy hours. I already have some railroad experience as a conductor on a tourist line so I understand basic railroading. To me, it seems like the biggest downside is how management tries to fire you and you are treated like crap. My understanding is all Class 1 freight railroads are like this, but it seems some are worse than others. CSX and BNSF appear to be the worst management-wise. What railroad (Class 1) has the better management?
 #1297480  by cockerhamsg

Pick a color buddy. I mean really. Half the highest of the higher ups have worked for another RR at some point, so the ideology is widespread. Also, you're going to have bad eggs in every terminal, so just because RR A has good standing for someone at terminal X, that doesn't mean that the same RR at another terminal isn't going to have leadership that you absolutely hate. Get in where you can get hired.
 #1297511  by GE45tonner

Thanks, that is what I figured. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't one slightly better.
 #1297614  by Desertdweller

The answer to this question has to depend on the locality.

The class one employees I have worked with were happier and more satisfied with BNSF than with competing Class ones.

Les
 #1297797  by jz441

GE45tonner wrote: CSX and BNSF appear to be the worst management-wise. What railroad (Class 1) has the better management?
I am not sure how you came up with this conclusion, but I have been with BNSF for 17 years and have no complaints.
 #1297836  by COEN77

jz441 wrote:
GE45tonner wrote: CSX and BNSF appear to be the worst management-wise. What railroad (Class 1) has the better management?
I am not sure how you came up with this conclusion, but I have been with BNSF for 17 years and have no complaints.
I retired from CSX I didn't have any complaints. lol. Like all railroads one must do their job according to the rules.
 #1298892  by Freddy

Basically it all depends on what department you work in, who's supervising and how much service time you have. Something that doesn't bother the guy with 10 years might really piss off the guy with 10 months.
 #1304775  by MichaelB86

MR77100 wrote:I have heard a lot of good things about BNSF and CN. Not so with UP and NS.
I haven't had a bad experience yet working for the UP. I'm not sure why people think UP and NS blow while BN gets credit for everything great under the sun. For me, looking from the inside none of that appears to be true at all. Last I checked UP wasn't supporting the move to get rid of conductors and go to a one man cab like the BNSF. Managers are dicks and are never EVER to be trusted no matter where you go. It's the RR. If you wanted a cush job with no pressure you're in the wrong industry.