Railroad Forums 

• I'm very new... Many questions.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1290533  by ymmoreno

Hello hello.
First off, I will say I am excited and nervous at the same time for the fact that I have a " formal interview" with CSX this coming Friday and that pushed my move date to Thursday. At the time being I live in Indiana and have been applying to different jobs and was referred to being a Freight conductor by, well a freight conductor. Haha. Well, I applied, practically on Saturday for two locations nearest. South Deerfield, and Framingham Massachusetts. Than of course I got the email for pending manager review and now I have an interview for both places but in the same location. I'm nervous, excited, and feel somewhat accomplished for the fact I even got an interview.

A little background on me. I am a 23 year old female, I have always worked extremely hard and very driven. At 16 I joined the Fire explorers. Basically an after school program to train with firefighters, after 3 years and hard work, they put me through school, acquire my EMT, and firefighter I and II. Yay me. I am also a Certified Nursing Assistant, Wildland Firefighter aswell. But after a bit, I lost passion for that, wasn't worth my sanity of seeing kids die. Really. So I went back to working a small job, helping the parents. And than moved to Indiana working for Delta Airlines, oh boy. Throwing bags bigger than me, huge diesel equipment used on aircraft to basically jump start them, and promoted to being a trainer. It was good, but not worth the risks people kept doing on bending the rules and not taking the fact we dealt with large aircraft and treated it as a toy.

So I worked safely as usual until I got an offer to be an aircraft fueler. Hell why not! I took it, and let me tell you. Best decision until my wonderful boyfriend, now fiance proposed, who by the way works for Pan am railways, to me. And now I am moving to Massachusetts. I've worked in all weather, rain, snow, deep Ass snow, deep Ass water, dealt with fuel, chemicals. I've done it all, and on call for freight aircraft handling 9 skids of GM axles each skid at 35000lbs. Which another fun fact is I was the only female hired in my location in the last 25 years. So I must have something good going.

Now I have an Interview with CSX Friday, 5th of September.
I'm just curious how this interview process will go, questions that may be asked, what to wear. And any great advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
 #1290907  by MichaelB86

Dress nice, like you are interviewing for an office job. Your background is pretty cool and safety sensitive so that should definitely work in your favor. They will probably ask you about your experience and if you've ever worked in strange conditions, hours, outdoors, stress...etc. Tell them how you have managed all of that well and how you've applied that to be safe and successful. Think of all the times you've made decisions in the name of safety and use that if they ask. Be cool, confident and respectful. You should do fine. Once you clear the interview it's pretty much about rolling with whatever they tell you to do and clearing that step (medical evaluation, background, drug test...etc). Once you get past that and into class, you're in. It's then up to you to pass and do great things for your railroad lol Good luck.
 #1291455  by Thunder

Just saw the post, how did it go? I think you nailed it with what you said here. Not afraid to do dirty work and odd hours. We have a few ladies on my little streak of rust that cant hack it. Sounds like you will be able to.
 #1292618  by CSX Conductor

I'm confused here as you say that you applied for "two locations very close by, Deerfield and Framingham". First off, they are not close to each other, and secondly they are two completely different railroads. CSXT is in Framingham and Pan Am Railways is Deerfield. Feel free to PM me as I used to work out of Boston and Framingham. I am also willing to answer any questions you may have here. 1 thing I can tell you is that as a young female you will be a minority in freight and you'll be gawked at plenty and some may underestimate you. You need to be thick skinned.

I honestly would look into Amtrak. First off, the lifestyle is MUCH BETTER and also Amtrak pays MUCH MORE. :-D
 #1292619  by CSX Conductor

BTW, another benefit of Amtrak over CSXT is National Seniority, meaning you could transfer anywhere in the US that your seniority allows. CSXT your seniority is limited to particular seniority districts.
 #1293244  by ymmoreno

Sorry for the late update. But on Friday, the 5th of September, they enjoyed my interview, laughed a bit, and they spoke with my fiance who works as a signal maintainer for Pan Am. They hinted at hiring me, but was unsure.

Later in the day during dinner I get a call from the number they told us about, the same day of my interview. I was given my offer letter and I gladly accepted. Well, I finished all my testing within a week since they wanted me to go to my training ASAP on the 29th of this month. I'm personally shocked for the fact I kept hearing it could take weeks for all of this to go through. I've kept in touch with my HR rep throughout the whole process which I'm guessing kept the ball rolling. But other than that, I just wait for my email to report for REDI. Thanks guys, I guess I really did good. And for having a good background in my past occupations. Yay!