Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Chicago Yards

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1291457  by Thunder

From what I have seen, yes you will stay busy and yes you should be working . All depends though on how many people are above you. If you get bumped, what yard you are at etc etc. I can tell you its a mad house at the intermodal yard at Englewood ( duck when you hear gunshots ) and Landers looks to be the same. I pass by on Metra so I cant give you any details. Are you stuck to Chicago? Or can you go to other locations?
 #1292408  by jrock1956

Thunder wrote:From what I have seen, yes you will stay busy and yes you should be working . All depends though on how many people are above you. If you get bumped, what yard you are at etc etc. I can tell you its a mad house at the intermodal yard at Englewood ( duck when you hear gunshots ) and Landers looks to be the same. I pass by on Metra so I cant give you any details. Are you stuck to Chicago? Or can you go to other locations?
I am going to McDonough on September 22 for training for 3 weeks. My orientation is sometime next week so I know little to nothing about where what yard I will be working at. I live in Chicago, so transferring is not an option I would entertain. I assume Chicago is all yard jobs. What are the work schedules like for conductors in the yard?