Railroad Forums 

• Jeans that don't rip so easly?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1286166  by train2

Currently working as a road conductor so I am NOT up and down cars all day long, but I m constantly having a problem with jeans ripping at the crotch seam. Now I know this a delicate subject so I hope you will respond in a professional way. I was wondering if you guys have found any brands better than others? My specific problem is that I am tall and even with long legs it is a stretch getting up on some steps and I can tell the pants are stressed in the crotch seam and that is the place they fail first. I have ripped close to 10 pairs over the last year and everyone has ripped in the same exact place.

So I really need to find a solution.

I currently wear Levis, some Lees and I think there may have been a Hustler (not sure) brand that all failed the same way.

I hear a lot of the guys talk about Charhart, but I have never owned any of those brands.

Is the solution, longer jeans, shorter jeans, looser (get one size to big) jeans? I am hoping someone has had this problem before.
 #1286171  by COEN77

I don't know what you're doing to rip the jeans. I wore Levi's my entire carreer they lasted on average 6-8 years before I had to retire them from railroad service. I tried the cheaper Wranglers & Lee's they went 2-3 years. Carhart never tried their jeans definitely liked their vest & coats canvas ones lasted along time. Mostly I wore the Levi 505's not loose not tight just right. Darn that could fit in to the Goldilocks & the Three Bears story. LOL!
 #1286216  by Freddy

Go on Wranglers website. Be prepared to pay but you can order different weight denim and also you can get jeans with different crotch to waist lengths. Their professional rodeo rider jeans are nice but like I said be prepared to shell out the coin.
 #1286229  by supernova1972

Carhadt jeans or overalls usually last me about a year but I like to do locals and yard work a lot, so I'm harder on them. Try some of the Duluth Trading firehouse pants or ballroom jeans. I think if the firehouse pants rip they replace them.
 #1286271  by gp80mac

I've worked locals and yard for years, and the best jeans I had were (don't laugh) LL Bean.

to be fair, I bought them for $15 a pair at a Bean outlet that used to be near here (it closed up years ago). I've worn some of those jeans for years with minimal tearing (knees or pockets eventually ripped out - probably due to snagging something). The wranglers I eventually had to buy to replace them didn't hold up as well, but I didn't pay a lot for them either.

I'm usually wearing bibs now.

I did blow out the crotch of my one pair of rain gear, and I think that was because the bottom of the crotch was hanging too low from the bottom of my crotch. That and the god-awful 4-foot high middle step on certain GP38-2s.
 #1286299  by csxhobo

The problem is the jeans slide down and the crotch hangs low. The cheapest way to fix it is just grab one leg at the thigh and pull it up. I do this all the time. It gives you more crotch room to step up on a high step.
 #1286406  by COEN77

supernova1972 wrote:Try some of the Duluth Trading firehouse pants or ballroom jeans. I think if the firehouse pants rip they replace them.
I get their catalog never ordered anything but it's all work stuff. I know they have jeans with extra denim at the crotch to prevent ripping. I use to wear Oshkosh Bibs to work back in the '70s & '80s but I think they quit making them for adults.
 #1286472  by The RR Authority

Freddy wrote:Go on Wranglers website. Be prepared to pay but you can order different weight denim and also you can get jeans with different crotch to waist lengths. Their professional rodeo rider jeans are nice but like I said be prepared to shell out the coin.

Wrangler 13 mwz jeans, the ones they call "rigid." They won't rip out and they last forever. And they are not that expensive.
 #1286476  by catfish63755

I've had the same problem, and it's the George Strait and 47mhz cut Wranglers that I have the most problems with. The problem is like one commenter mentioned above, the pants sag down and when I squat or take a big enough step, then riiiip and I have a new source of ventilation. I've since changed to Carhartt jeans but they're not as comfortable to me. One option would be heavy duty leather suspenders that clip directly to the belt loops of the jeans, bib overalls, or find pants that fit better. I've yet to try the suspenders, since the different cut of the Carhartt's and the bibs seems to be working for now.
 #1286814  by VicVega

I don't know how Levis jeans have been before, but i've had several pairs (501 and 505) that didn't last even 6 months, eventually tearing from.. you guessed it, the crotch. Poor quality jeans nowadays that just happen to have a strong brand and a big price tag (around here atleast).
 #1291459  by Thunder

Dickies carpenter jeans. I have pairs that are finally breaking down that I bought for Freight service in 2010. They hold up to abuse and you have plenty of pocket storage.
 #1291501  by slchub

I've used everything from Carhartt bibs to Kohls. Carharrt are rough but last forever. If you are looking for a pair of jeans to run around the yard/road with the Kohl's Urban Up seems to do a great job of climbing on/off eqpt. If I have ever had an issue I have taken them back to Kohl's for a new pair.

On the gear subject, I have found Autumn Creek luggage to last 10+ years of RR wear and tear and just about any Red Wing/Irish Setter/Vasque boot will do wonders for your feet. Red Wing will pretty much swap out your boot if there is an issue within the first 6-12 months.