Railroad Forums 

• Does bnsf hire over weight people

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1266114  by ljpierce1965

Question would probably be better in the employment section.

That said, is your BMI over 40? If so, then you're probably out of luck until you get it below that.
 #1269315  by Gadfly

ljpierce1965 wrote:Question would probably be better in the employment section.

That said, is your BMI over 40? If so, then you're probably out of luck until you get it below that.
Honestly, that 'was asked when I was hired in '78. It went something like this: "If you are 5' 10" and you weigh so much (fill in the blank), you may leave now. It will do you no good to stay". If BMI was high, they'd catch it at the physical anyway if you tried to fake your way in.

That sounds mean, but it is actually for your own safety, especially if you are going to be expected to catch up onto moving equipment, climb thru cuts of cars and so forth. It has been proven that, generally, overly heavy people have more agility issues as well as health problems over time. The railroads are BIG on safety.
Lose the extra pounds and then give it a try! :-D
 #1291301  by ljpierce1965

jz441 wrote:I believe that BNSF requires the BMI to be no grater than 30 at the time of hiring.
It is 40. Up to 35 isn't a problem. 35.1 to 39.99 is looked at on a case by case basis. 40 and up, you are disqualified.

HOWEVER, don't take disqualification as the end all.

Most doctors offices take your weight and refer to a chart to arrive at the BMI level. This is INACCURATE!

I was able to use a scale at another doctors office I knew of to get a computerized high tech BMI reading that came in UNDER the 40 threshold which got me back into the running for the job.