Railroad Forums 

• Motels in Des Moines, IA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1242868  by MR77100

I have accepted a Conductor position in Clinton, Iowa, but the training will be Des Moines for a month. I was informed that the railroad will pay for a motel for 3 out of 4 weeks during my stay in Des Moines. Does the railroad pick the motel for you or do I pick it out myself?
 #1242909  by WhiskeyBravo270

I am in a similar situation. I live in Ames, IA but will be taking a job in Saint James, MN. The training is in Rosemount, MN. Since the distance between the training site and work site is greater than 45 miles, UP will give me a one time payment of $1300. I thought about getting a hotel but that would cost about $1000.00 for the month; doesn't leave much for food. Decided to find a room on craigslist. You might want to consider the same. Des Moines is large and I'm sure you'll find plenty of rooms for rent on craigslist. Be Well.
 #1243047  by lking74

I live in Des Moines and am in the training class beginning 2/3. In my email it says the training class is held at the sterling inn and suites. That is an extended stay hotel that has furniture..fridge stove..etc. you wouldnt need to eat out if you stayed there, just bring groceries to cook and live cheap. They have an add under housing in des moines right now(craigslist) for 343 a week and you would be staying at the training location with no need to drive. just an fyi
 #1244096  by lking74

go to des moines craigslist ..click on housing...put sterling in the search box and it will be first ad that pops up. also ask them if they have a union pacific discount on top of that weekly rate. I imagine they do since UP buys a meeting room there.
 #1250245  by peterbilt22

MR77100 wrote:Anyone have any information on the Motel 6?
If im not mistaken that motel might be by the Bosselman Pilot truck stop. They was going thru a remodel a couple of yrs back..cdl discount