Railroad Forums 

• need advice about my background check.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1239538  by Engineer Spike

I have worked for companies which are now defunct. Under the listings of those companies, I put "defunct" in parentheses next to the name. You are required to keep your tax info for several years, in case of audit. If you worked there over the required number of years ago, just tell the HR guy the truth. The tax records were past what needs to be on file, and the company is now gone.
 #1239597  by Rbts Stn

Engineer Spike wrote:I have worked for companies which are now defunct. Under the listings of those companies, I put "defunct" in parentheses next to the name. You are required to keep your tax info for several years, in case of audit. If you worked there over the required number of years ago, just tell the HR guy the truth. The tax records were past what needs to be on file, and the company is now gone.
This.

You should have the "filer's copy" of your W2's for 7 years.
 #1239606  by scottychaos

Rbts Stn wrote:
Engineer Spike wrote:I have worked for companies which are now defunct. Under the listings of those companies, I put "defunct" in parentheses next to the name. You are required to keep your tax info for several years, in case of audit. If you worked there over the required number of years ago, just tell the HR guy the truth. The tax records were past what needs to be on file, and the company is now gone.
This.

You should have the "filer's copy" of your W2's for 7 years.
I keep all my tax info for 10 years..
then once a year, I take the folder/envelope that is 11 years old to the fire pit in the back yard and burn it..

Scot