Railroad Forums 

• RRR and 401K

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1489783  by nsdq160th

freightguy wrote:Nsdq106th,

A lot of people would disagree with you. Especially LIRR retirees vs collecting social security. Staying a year at the LIRR is rare unless you’re forced out. They also have a 457 plan also.
I got flocked!!! Flocked badly!! Crappy bs foreman made BS about my skillzzzzzzz....
 #1491010  by Cowford

Cowford wrote:
I may be wrong, but just as Tier 1 gets you FICA credits, aren't FICA payments credited to your Tier 1 calculation?

They weren't credited to mine.
Wayside, I ran the annuity calculator and my FICA payments showed up in the results, so it appears as they are credited.
 #1491015  by Wayside

Cowford: Okay I think the difference for me is that I retired with RRB almost ten years after the period in which I was paying into FICA. When they calculate the annuity, they take the last five years of earnings into consideration, all of which were RRB for me. I had way more than enough months of RRB service by that point (360+) to qualify for full retirement. I think that's how it works, anyway. I could be mistaken.
 #1491022  by Gadfly

Wayside wrote:Railroad retirement's positive qualities are a fairly well-kept secret in this country. I'm okay with keeping it that way, so yeah, it's a total scam. :wink:
I just know I don't want it messed with!

GF
 #1491034  by Wayside

Gadfly wrote:I just know I don't want it messed with! GF
Amen.