Railroad Forums 

• QUESTION. PLEASE HELP!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1192651  by charlie6017

Let's ship this off into the Employment Forum where a lot of former and current Employees usually hang out. I hope you're able to get the answers you need and deserve. I hope all works out well for you and your family!

Charlie
CSX forum moderator
 #1192667  by Freddy

Get in touch with your REDBLOCK rep. They handle a lot of issues, not just drug and alcohol. I speak from experience.
 #1192814  by COEN77

Freddy wrote:Get in touch with your REDBLOCK rep. They handle a lot of issues, not just drug and alcohol. I speak from experience.
Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) might be able to help handle with family matters. Do you have a place to stay if you transfer? Qualifying depends on local management shouldn't be more than a couple trips. Depends on if you're a conductor or locomotive engineer. You could request a leave of absence that doesn't help financially.

I had the same problem in 2007 my Mom lived 600 miles away. FMLA wasn't granted, I exhausted all my vacation & personal leave within 6 months. Then two road foreman jobs opened up in that area an I seriously considered applying. After talking to my Mom she asked would I be happy if I took the job. That I needed to do what was right for me. I didn't apply never wanted to be management. I got up there as much as I could at one point the railroad was charging me with excessive time off luckily my RFE & LC squashed most of them knowing the situation. Even co-workers were donating their personal leave to me. It's a difficult time.