Railroad Forums 

• Color Blindness at CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1182059  by jonc1986

Hi everybody. I am new to the forum. I know the topic of color vision has been discussed, but I have some more specific questions. Let me start out by saying that I am red green colorblind. I know that CSX will test color vision for applicants of conductor and engineer, but soes anyone know FOR A FACT that they will test color vision for trackworkers, carmen or signal dept? I am looking to apply for Track worker, Carman, or Signal department. I assume that they would test for signal department.

On a side note, if they do indeed test you for track worker, how can I find out if I am able to wear color-correcting lenses for the test? I don't want to make the yard any less safe and so would certainly wear the lenses on the job and not "just for the test". I keep thinking to myself, "if a man has 20/80 vision and normally wears glasses, he will be allowed to wear his glasses for his eye exam. Why should color-deficient people be any different? The glasses just fix a different problem with the eyes."

Any help with any of this is helpful!
Thanks, Jon
 #1182160  by Freddy

jonc1986 wrote:Hi everybody. I am new to the forum. I know the topic of color vision has been discussed, but I have some more specific questions. Let me start out by saying that I am red green colorblind. I know that CSX will test color vision for applicants of conductor and engineer, but soes anyone know FOR A FACT that they will test color vision for trackworkers, carmen or signal dept? I am looking to apply for Track worker, Carman, or Signal department. I assume that they would test for signal department.

On a side note, if they do indeed test you for track worker, how can I find out if I am able to wear color-correcting lenses for the test? I don't want to make the yard any less safe and so would certainly wear the lenses on the job and not "just for the test". I keep thinking to myself, "if a man has 20/80 vision and normally wears glasses, he will be allowed to wear his glasses for his eye exam. Why should color-deficient people be any different? The glasses just fix a different problem with the eyes."

Any help with any of this is helpful!
Thanks, Jon
The vision test will be included during the physical the same as it was during my back to work physical with CSX after being off sick. I wear glasses and I wore mine for every physical each time I came back from being off sick which totaled 4. I also wore glasses when I first started and I started off as a trackman and ended up a Signal Maintainer. If your glasses correct the problem then wear them to the physical. I'd keep my mouth shut about being color blind if the glasses do indeed correct the problem because even if you become a trackman/track worker
you'll still, at some time, during your career need to know what a signal might be displaying. Some people probably disagree with what I've said but my reason is this. The physicals are contracted out at different facilities close to where that employee/candidate lives. If during that physical some information is volunteered that could sway you being hired or denied you'll
probably be denied because this contractor would fail you rather than pass you because if some question comes up later about that hire they won't want it traced back to them and face the chance that they'll lose a contract with the railroad. I've said it before, on this forum, and I'll say it again. Sometimes too much information is exactly that. If your glasses fix the problem
then wear them constantly and let that be the end of it. That's my opinion anyway.
 #1182575  by ccutler

Railroading isn't the only career path out there. If anything ever went wrong you'd only have yourself to blame. Ever misplace your glasses?