Railroad Forums 

• Average waiting time for REDI center schooling ???

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1074618  by Chromecbr

I was officially hired last week at csx buffalo as freight conductor and I'm anxious to go to Atlanta for schooling ! Does anybody know how long it will take to get a start date at REDI center ?? I really just can't wait to put in my 2 weeks notice at my current workplace .. Thanks !
 #1074757  by supernova1972

I went to REDI last year with several guys from Buffalo and they say it is slowing down there now. Going into winter you will never know, but here is the thing about working on the RR, CALM DOWN! Everything to get to work moves slow. Most guys wait months for the call to go. I'm looking at their boards now and they have quite a few guys rested on pools and the extra board so who knows.
 #1074925  by mattyfro1973

Chromecbr wrote:I was officially hired last week at csx buffalo as freight conductor and I'm anxious to go to Atlanta for schooling ! Does anybody know how long it will take to get a start date at REDI center ?? I really just can't wait to put in my 2 weeks notice at my current workplace .. Thanks !
Here is a timeline, I am also from Albany Division and attending REDI next month.

Applied : Nov 2011
Interviewed : Mar 19, 2012
Offered Position : April 5th - Pending Physical, Strength Test, and Background Check
Physical, Strength Test : April 30th ish.
Clear to Hire : May 24th
Second Physical (only good for 90 days and my start date was to be in Sept) : June 29th
Ready to Hire : July 5th, 2012
REDI : Sep 3rd, 2012

So, patience is a virtue. Advice, don't tell your current employer too soon! They may not like the idea you are getting a way better job with the railroad and treat you accordingly. I gave my two weeks notice a little early, on Aug 1st, giving them a month since my schedule comes out in one month increments. Good Luck!!
 #1099378  by Chromecbr

I was supposed to go to the REDI center mid November .. But Aaron lofton said they aren't sending anybody to REDI for the rest of 2012 .. He said they will reach out to all candidates when 2013 hiring is figured out ... Anybody know what that means ? He said it was cuz Obama sucks and cut down coal transportation ??? I'm trying to be patient by my current job blows :(