Railroad Forums 

• PAL operations Louisville, KY

• The Paducah & Louisville Railway (reporting mark PAL) is a Class II railroad that operates freight service between Paducah and Louisville, Kentucky. Website: www.palrr.biz
The Paducah & Louisville Railway (reporting mark PAL) is a Class II railroad that operates freight service between Paducah and Louisville, Kentucky. Website: www.palrr.biz
 #700599  by cifn2

I am looking for any information on PAL operations in KY, including but not limited to symbols.

What are their major loads Coal? Grain?

Any other information on PAL is appreciated, I couldn't find much on operations in Louisville, when I googled.

Thanks

Mike
 #726509  by goingloco

In Louisville PAL typically handles just one coal train to and from LG&E on job symbols LG1 (Southbound-empty) & LG2 (Northbound-loaded), other jobs handle mixed freight and do local work at industries and interchange with the NS in Louisville. Farther West of Louisville, PAL Handles many coal trains from mines in Kentucky to coal blending facilities and also handles coal trains brought from Class 1 railroads that are brought into Paducah. Around Madisonville, KY the Load many trains. WW1 is one of the Job symbols that loads in Madisonville most weekday mornings. The Class 1 trains that PAL handles typically gives their crews symbols like PCU1, PCB1, PCC1, & PNX1. The last letter seems to indicate the Class 1 railroad (i.e., B= BNSF, C= CN, U= UP, etc) The P being the originating station I think (Paducah), but I'm not sure about the PNX, I don't understand what those letters stand for. They also handle quite a bit of mixed freight around Paducah. If you are a CN fan, FUPD interchanges cars @ Paducah, hence the name (Fulton-Paducah). Also a Local crew from the BNSF interchanges @ Paducah from time to time. The PAL handles coal, rock, lumber, misc freight, chemicals, and some grain, but not very much. They rarely get piggybacks & don't get any auto racks, but I have heard that they do Ship cars loaded with frames for Ford from either Louisville or their Cecilia yard. Hope this helps!
 #727706  by dirtydave

i am sure you checked out their web site. they have a rail fanning tab on there.