Railroad Forums 

• Montana Rail Link SD70ACes

• Montana Rail Link (reporting mark MRL) is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. MRL, which operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway, is a unit of the Washington Companies, and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. Website: montanarail.com
Montana Rail Link (reporting mark MRL) is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. MRL, which operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway, is a unit of the Washington Companies, and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. Website: montanarail.com
 #101480  by USRailFan

Not sure this is the correct place to post, but I didn't find a specific MRL forum..
Does anyone know what numbers the MRL SD70ACes will have, and which locomotives (if any) they'll replace?
Also, do someone know of an up-to-date roster for MRL?

#101564  by Aa3rt

While I'm afraid I can't answer your first two questions, here's a link to the Montana Rail Link Unofficial Guide page. Scroll down and you'll find a link for the roster, dated Jan. 16th, 2001. If someone out there has a more current roster, please help this gentleman out.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~timharri/mrl.html

#101589  by USRailFan

Aa3rt wrote:While I'm afraid I can't answer your first two questions, here's a link to the Montana Rail Link Unofficial Guide page. Scroll down and you'll find a link for the roster, dated Jan. 16th, 2001. If someone out there has a more current roster, please help this gentleman out.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~timharri/mrl.html
Yes I know of that roster, and as you say it is from 2001, that was why I wondered if somebody knows of a newer roster. Then again, there is of course the possibility that there haven't really been any major change in MRL's roster until the SD70ACe order
 #101628  by SD Shortline

In either or both "Trains" and "Railfan and Railroad" has the ACe's knocking down the SD45 ranks.
 #103070  by USRailFan

SD Shortline wrote:In either or both "Trains" and "Railfan and Railroad" has the ACe's knocking down the SD45 ranks.
Thanks for the info.
So I guess the MRL will go for the SD70ACes as mainline power and SD40-2s/SD45-2s as helpers then?

#103163  by The S.P. Caboose

Could there be any info on Montana Rail Link's web site?

Just a thought.

#103877  by AmtrakFan

Well I know the SD40-2/SD45's will be kept for leasing services. Some are still on BNSF
 #111892  by gravelyfan

When are the new units slated to be delivered?
 #137023  by AmtrakFan

gravelyfan wrote:When are the new units slated to be delivered?
Later this summer.
 #1475446  by Leo_Ames

Is traffic climbing back upwards, or will these be used to retire more of what little is left of their one time fleet of SD40/SD45's and derivatives?

Not too long ago, it sounded like traffic levels didn't warrant buying additional new SD70ACe's.
 #1475454  by NorthWest

I'm guessing traffic increases. The SD45 fleet didn't seem to get much use after 2015 or so, and generally as a surge fleet, with SD70ACes taking most road jobs and 4-axle power on locals.