Railroad Forums 

• Farewell Crandic, Hello Iowa Interstate

• For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
 #40283  by Gilbert B Norman

I have learned that that the Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Railroad has ceased operations over the ex-MILW Cedar Rapids-Yocum Jct line but that the Iowa Interstate (Rock Island successor) will assume such.

On a personal note, I was "out there" this past weeked. A hotel at which I always stay, namely Holiday Inn Express in Coralville, offers "rooms with a view". About 830PM Saturday, I was certain I heard a train, but was simply too tired to get off the bunk and go look (I'm "not exactly a night owl in this life BTW, sundown is usually bedtime in the summer). Only Sunday morning, when visiting with railfan friends in Amana, did I learn this was the final CRIC operated train over the line.

Incidentally, Yocum Jct is the interchange between this line and the Rock Island near Homestead. Trains can operate off the ex-MILW and travel either East or West on the Rock Island (IAIS).

Unfortunately, the major potential source of oin-line traffic has failed to develop. That would be from the Amana Refrigeration plant at Middle Amana. Amana was quite loyal to the MILW in past years, providing many a favorable line haul, including "all the way" to the West Coast. However that business deteriorated, whose fault depends upon who you listen to, and today all input of raw materials and purchased parts is by 18 wheeler. There is still fabrication such as metal stamping and assembly done there. The finished household appliances also move by 18 wheeler. What is ironic is that Amana has a warehouse (whoops, Distribution Center) in Coralville that is wiithin sight of the RI, but no rail access has been provided.

About two year ago, Amana Refrigeration was acquired by Maytag (The Amana Colonies had long sinced disposed of their interest). Maytag reportedly owns a substantial interest in the IAIS, and they make extensive use of rail transportation at their Newton, IA facility. I would have thought that the same philospohy of using rail transport would apply to their acquisition of Amana, but to date, the 18 wheelers are the sole source of transportation for the Amana/Maytag plant.

How much longer Maytag/Amana will have any production within the USA remains an open question; some here likely know they closed a large production facility in Galesburg, IL where rportedly machinery got a one way routing to "South of the Border". But if they are to continue such, especially in "swing state Iowa" (never mind one-party Illinois, where the Democratic US Senate candidate is presently running unopposed), it would be nice to see them make optimal use of "their' railroad that now serves Middle Amana.

#40857  by AmtrakFan

Who is this line owned by IAIS? Also does CRIC own another line of theirs?

AmtrakFan
 #41162  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr Fan--

The line in question is ex-MILW and originated in Marion. It followed US 151 through Amana and Middle Amana, then interchanged with the Rock Island near Homestead. It then proceeded Southwesterly to Ottumwa and from there to Kansas City. Outside of the rail dependent agricultural industries within Cedar Rapids, Amana Refrigeration was unquestionably the strongest on-line industry, and as I noted always gave the MILW the most favorable line haul possible.

The Crandic continues to operate its "core' former interurban line (diesels of course nowadays) between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City (CRANDIC). It is now owned by an electric utility which has a coal fired plant South of the city and further controls switching at a massive food processing plant of Archer Daniels Midland visible from US 30.

A word about railfanning around there. Law Enforcement, be they municipal police or the Union Pacific variety are "aggressive". An absolutely positively safe place is from a small fenced city park located in Fairfax on US 151 which offers a "good' view of the UP.. Also likely 'safe" will be a bike trail along the former Rock Island "Zephyr Rocket" route where it crosses the UP near the previously mentioned utility. However, that remains under coinstruction. Naturally anywhere, observing is safer than "shooting".