Railroad Forums 

• Customers?

• For discussion of the GLC. The GLC is a Class II regional railroad operating over former Penn Central lines in Michigan. Their website is here: GLCRailroad.com
For discussion of the GLC. The GLC is a Class II regional railroad operating over former Penn Central lines in Michigan. Their website is here: GLCRailroad.com
 #1409382  by NRGeep

What businesses does GLCR serve and who do they interchange with?
 #1409473  by jimnorthwood

Main interchange point is with the Ann Arbor RR at a siding called Osmer, which is just north of the namesake city. GLC also interchanges with CN and LSRC in Durand, CSX in Ann Pere (Howell), Mid-Michigan in Alma, and through the AA, NS in Toledo. As for customers, they operate a lot of state owned track, close to 350 miles worth, so they have a good number of customers. Their largest was sand from the end of their line in Yuma, but that stopped recently. Plastic pellets, grain, fertilizer, lumber, coke are biggies for them. Until recently they also hauled apple juice in glass bottles out of a factory near Traverse City. that ended when the shipper switched to plastic bottles They also have a transload facility in Clare on a remnant of the former C&O that ran across mid-Michigan to Ludington. I think their annual car count is in the 10,000-15,000 range. For motive power they are still operating four or five of the GP35's from the old Ann Arbor, plus some GP38-2's.
 #1468059  by jimnorthwood

An update to the below post. The sand business has returned for GLC, as the facility in Yuma re-opened a month or so ago. East Jordan Iron Works is building a new gas fired foundry, which will mean an end to some of their trans-loaded coke traffic at Cadillac.
 #1487335  by jimnorthwood

I haven't been to Ithaca in a long time, so I can't verify this first hand, but one of the rail blogs out this way noted that the project is moving forward, with new rail being laid into and around the complex.