Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #975505  by Jeff Smith

Interesting discussion on CSOR (Rail America) from the Connecticut Public Transporation Committee (CTPTC): http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2314&q=260046

PDF File: http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/minaug11.pdf

From the August minutes:
Connecticut Southern Railroad operates 78 miles of track in Connecticut. Most of the traffic it carries is subject to a $1.00 per car-mile trackage fee by Amtrak for use of the latter’s Springfield Line. CSO has 55 freight customers with levels of rail usage from 10 cars per year to thousands of cars per year. CSO had a better year in 2010 than in 2009 but traffic is still down from 2008 levels. CSO began operations in Connecticut in 1998.

One significant issue facing the CSO is that it cannot receive and handle 286,000 # cars, which is the new standard for the rail industry. Access to CSO lines is limited to 263,000# cars. Most lines in Massachusetts and New York can handle 286,000# cars so Connecticut is at a disadvantage which has cost the railroad some customers and the state some businesses. Hunter equated a 286,000 # car to 4 tractor trailer truckloads while a 263,000 # car equates to roughly 3 ½ truckloads.

Hunter related that CSO owns and operates over the Connecticut River bridge which needs a lot of structural repairs. A Bond Commission approval last Friday will provide $3,000,000 to fund repairs and upgrades to the bridge, but those repairs will not get the bridge up to the 286,000 # standard. Major customers for the CSO include Murphy Road Recycling, Cytec Industries, Hudson-Baylor Recycling and the Central Connecticut Cooperative. Hunter mentioned two new customers expected to be served later this year are CWPM in Berlin, a construction waste firm, and Nicoloc Pavers in North Haven.
It would be really nice if some of the infrastructure was upgraded to handle the larger cars and double-stacks.
 #975567  by The EGE

Do weight limits and speed limits correlate at all? I.e, would upgrading to 286k capacity mean the track is capable of X mph, or is speed based on different factors?
 #975572  by MEC407

Yes and no. You might, for example, have a line that can handle the weight of 286K cars, but has a lot of tight curves -- compared to a line that isn't 286K capable, but is mostly straight -- all else being equal (rail weight, tie condition, ballast condition, drainage, signals, etc.), the non-286K line would have higher speed limits.
 #988112  by Larry

I just drove past the Hartford Freight yard (Hartford CT) and saw what looks like to be a three stall engine house being built on the southern most end? Is this for CSOR or is someone else putting this up? Would CDOT be installing this for the future High Speed Rail? I don't think P&W but you never know as they do have rights up to this area.
I would say it is about half finished at this point with two tracks already in place running through and another bay for a third track not put in yet. Does anyone know who this is for?
 #988144  by F-line to Dudley via Park

It's not for CDOT. They're only doing track work now and NHHS will be using some space in humongous rebuilt New Haven Yard and a Springfield layover yard to support the diesel fleet. Hartford Yard's CSO-owned (if anyone else has got a piece, it's on the fringes where lines diverge). Most likely it's theirs; they're growing at healthy enough clip to need some facilities, and have RailAmerica's corporate heft backing them for capital improvements like that.
 #988602  by Larry

Thank you for all the information. I am glad to see them (CSOR) get something new for once. This will be a big help to them as the elements can be tough especially if we have a winter like we did last year. I am taking thart the East Hartford yard will be cut back somewhat after this comes on line?
 #988767  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Larry wrote:Thank you for all the information. I am glad to see them (CSOR) get something new for once. This will be a big help to them as the elements can be tough especially if we have a winter like we did last year. I am taking thart the East Hartford yard will be cut back somewhat after this comes on line?
I dunno...Armory Branch is getting its rail spiffed up bigtime by CDOT, and the CT River bridge got funding this fall for repairs beginning immediately to finally lift its weight restrictions. Business is booming for them and CNZR, the Springfield interchanges are going to get a boost when CSX is double-stack rated and PAS has its spanking-new Conn River Line upgrades, and they're getting an assist on the east-of-river capacity with the Armory and bridge upgrades. East Hartford's probably going to be well-utilized for the long-term.
 #988783  by Larry

I agree somewhat as the Armory branch only received a small section of new ties that did go in but that line is in terrible shape for the most part. It could use new ties the whole line and CNZR could sure use a boost in the arm for his portion to the north. In Hazardville they paved over the ROW again so not sure how that fits into the big picture. Yes it is great news on the bridge from Hartford to East Hartford getting long over due work to it, I was glad to see that. Yesterday I watched CSOR come south through Windsor with 4 engines and 33 cars in tow. Four engines were needed as the two CSOR units were not fully working so they required in the morning more power to be added. Manchester line is getting some needed attention but still it could use lot more in ballast as well as tampering just like the Armory branch. Maybe it will come but talking to the the work crew it is not in the near future that all this work be done. I also say open up Manchester to Willimantic if we can't get the Armory to extend to CSX in Springfield. That would open up major pluses for all railroads, P&W CNZR, CSOR as well as NECR. They all need to work with CDOT to solve the issue of getting the freight off the Springfiels line in near future. All in all though I am glad to see some work finally going to these two lines, long over due and the engine house is a major plus for them so they can keep their road engines working through this next winter.
 #988794  by Otto Vondrak

Maybe we could get the title of this thread changed to reflect that this is indeed CSOR's new shop and office being constructed?
 #989068  by Larry

My apologies...went off on lots of my favorite subjects. The new Engine House is a major welcome to CSOR. I know this will help them out with all of their road engines and is the beginning to something maybe even bigger down the road.
 #989107  by Larry

I just spoke to a CSOR employee and he stated that the Engine house is indeed a welcome sight as well as a new office. Plans were to have this completed by end of December but they are running a little behind. Still it will be nice to work inside for once as he was working on one of the fleets engines in East Hartford yard/office out in the cold today.
 #989112  by Larry

I just witness for the first time in a very long time a crew working (ECI) on the East Hartford yard replacing needed ties. Last time I saw this was at least 20 years ago when Conrail worked the yard just before the sale of it to RailTex. This yard is quite old as it has been around a long time and is the crossroads for South Windsor Line (Armory Branch) and Manchester Line (Midland) of the New Haven. I had relatives that worked for New Haven when this was the engine house for the steamers. Their last names were the McAullife's and they were very fond of this yard and also the lines they represented.
Also, Manchester line as stated received new ties along its whole line and now they are to fix two crossings in Manchester but has been put on hold due to all the work the town has to pick up from storm Alfred. All replacement product in place but town has no time to assist in laying the crossovers (i.e police, traffic control, etc.) Hopefully they can complete this before winter really sets in.
 #992869  by Larry

Today I watch a crew from ECI replacing all the ties on the bridge that runs across Adam Street in Manchester CT. They hope to have this all done in a day or two. Ties were in place when I saw them working but tie plates were still needed and to be spiked. Manchester Line has not seen this much maintenance in a long period of time so it is a welcome sight. Wish they do the whole line like this and go all the way to Willimantic.