Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1480999  by Larry

Well it is almost that time when the great road salt pile in the north end of Hartford should be starting to build up! Any one know if this will happen this year or not. Last year the siding was not completed in time but now it looks like everything is in place, lets hope so.
 #1481010  by bwparker1

bwparker1 wrote:Per the CT Shortlines Yahoo Listserv.

"CSOR customers Berlin
Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:36 am (PDT) . Posted by: fortchester
Looks like Automated Materials in Berlin had their switch reconnected. This time connecting off the old Emhart siding which is now used by CWPM (as opposed to a switch directly on the Springfield line). Its been a few years since Automated used rail service out of Berlin. "
I road the CT Rail train recently and on the way back visually confirmed that Automated Material Handling in Berlin did indeed have their switch reconnected into their Kensington facility. I did not note any active carts spotted.

The ride to New Haven and back was really interesting, in that there are many old & abandoned sidings. We used to make so much more in Connecticut. Very sad for what little remains today.
 #1487323  by Plate C

Been seeing CSO a bunch lately, sometimes in Hartford but mainly at SPG. Seeking info on current CSO trains/times.
Is it 2 & 4 that go to West Springfield? What are those 2 trains, one mixed freight and the other garbage/recycling?
Also curious about the job to North Haven and back, think that's at night?
Thanks in advance for info.
If you've been about in Hartford maybe you've enjoyed the new signals. Not where you can sit and watch, but at least you can drive by and see what the story is.
 #1487375  by bwparker1

Plate C wrote:Been seeing CSO a bunch lately, sometimes in Hartford but mainly at SPG. Seeking info on current CSO trains/times.
Is it 2 & 4 that go to West Springfield? What are those 2 trains, one mixed freight and the other garbage/recycling?
Also curious about the job to North Haven and back, think that's at night?
Thanks in advance for info.
If you've been about in Hartford maybe you've enjoyed the new signals. Not where you can sit and watch, but at least you can drive by and see what the story is.
You might have better luck asking these questions on the CSOR FB page. Much more active.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110607852373710/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1487699  by Larry

Larry is in the building but CSO schedules are all off right now with the second track finally being cut in. I am waiting to see myself how the schedules do get back to some what normal.
Also. Latest TRAIN Magazine just arrived and map of New England looks like it doesn't show a line out to Manchester anymore......so sad.
 #1489764  by Larry

In Hartford yard today near wye coming off East Hartford / South Windsor line saw a track gang putting together a 2 and 1/2 section of rail with all new ties. Not sure what it will be used for and where. I did hear that P&W line going to Middletown from here was to be re-opened soon as clearing was down south through Wethersfield and Rocky Hill.
 #1490968  by bwparker1

Larry wrote:Crew is still working today in Hartford yard. Working tracks between diamond and yard itself.
Larry, any idea how many active customers there are now east of the Connecticut River on CSOR? I know they also run freight up to East Windsor for the CNZR when that customer (Crop Production Services?) is in season.
 #1490983  by Larry

I believe just four on armory branch (plus CNZR) and only one in the yard in East Hartford itself. Sad, sad, sad. Manchester line is now been blocked off from School St in EH to end of line in Manchester for over a year, line looking sad as well as it now has weeds growing in it from lack of use. I wish they would sell to State and the CNZR lease it out and take it over.
 #1491325  by FLRailFan1

Larry wrote:I believe just four on armory branch (plus CNZR) and only one in the yard in East Hartford itself. Sad, sad, sad. Manchester line is now been blocked off from School St in EH to end of line in Manchester for over a year, line looking sad as well as it now has weeds growing in it from lack of use. I wish they would sell to State and the CNZR lease it out and take it over.
I know the old Fuller Brush/First Brands site had rail service in 2004, along with JCPenny warehouse and the liquor warehouse... I wonder if AJ could buy that line...CNZR might get in running...of course, CT is not business friendly...If the truck toll get started, maybe rail could come back...
 #1491347  by bwparker1

FLRailFan1 wrote:
Larry wrote:I believe just four on armory branch (plus CNZR) and only one in the yard in East Hartford itself. Sad, sad, sad. Manchester line is now been blocked off from School St in EH to end of line in Manchester for over a year, line looking sad as well as it now has weeds growing in it from lack of use. I wish they would sell to State and the CNZR lease it out and take it over.
I know the old Fuller Brush/First Brands site had rail service in 2004, along with JCPenny warehouse and the liquor warehouse... I wonder if AJ could buy that line...CNZR might get in running...of course, CT is not business friendly...If the truck toll get started, maybe rail could come back...
"JCPenny warehouse and the liquor warehouse"

That would be Hartford Distributors. Both of those are long gone from using Rail. I have no idea when but I would think it has been decades from when either received their last shipment.
 #1491412  by Larry

I don't believe JC ever had rail cars delivered. Tracks end well far of the building and I don't believe were ever brought to the building itself. As for HTFD Dist. cars were constantly getting broken into in Hartford yard so they gave up on the service many years back in the Conrail, Rail Tex then Rail America time frame.