Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1274208  by bigfreight

The military traffic your are seeing is more than likely the unit is heading for training. Depending on the unit type either infantry or artillery they are either headed to FT Polk La or Grayling Mi. You should see some returns toward the of June or July when they come back from training. Just about every state had some units going out to various places.
 #1274294  by bwparker1

necr3849 wrote:
Lincoln78 wrote:I don't appreciate you disrespecting my residence of Ellington. Especially since I cannot tell whether your greatest contempt is recent arrivals like me (2001, though I am not urban, and not so young), or old time New Englanders who don't appreciate outsiders. We still have many farms (cattle and tobacco) whose fertilizers delight at least one sense.

I'm still amazed that there was once trolley service "downtown" as the area was rural even during the golden age of trolleys. I don't think anything remains of the Rockville-East Windsor spur that was torn up around 1952. I guess my dream of commuting via high-speed rail to my employer will never be realized, and I will have to continue to travel to see CSOR.
Chill on the nose in the air bit. I was born and raised right outside Ellington. Went to school at their rival town even. So, I don't need any lessons on the farms and such. My parents are still in Tolland. My poke was all in fun, and I don't care how new you are. Even if you had been there 20 years, I still would have poked the joke at you :-)

I worked right near the Manchester Secondary when it was Conrail right through today's Connecticut Southern. When I left CT in 2007, the housing boom hadn't tanked quite yet. The writing was on the wall though. At the time, the Farmers Cooperative was still taking hoppers. Sanford & Hawley was so busy, they were using their track and the brick company's as well for all the lumber and drywall that was pouring in. I can recall the old Agway being served when I was younger. All those Conrail B23-7s! I can't even remember all the names of the area roads any more.

The only thing I ever remember from the Rockville-East Windsor Melrose Branch was the bridge that was over 83 way back. If you go by the town's(Vernon) waste water place during Winter, you can maybe still see where the branch used to cross the Hockanum River.
I don't think Sanford and Hawley gets anything anymore. The Manchester "Yard" is basically dead, you'll see a rare load of bricks once in a while. If it weren't for the Co-op, they would probably abandon this stretch of track.
 #1277268  by Larry

In the Hartford Yard today saw about 5 or six Metro North cars but couldn't get enough info on them. Looked like on one car I saw hand painted letters FICX? The Hartford yard was quiet at this point 7:45 am but the yard looked pretty full. I also saw two track panels made up as well, not sure where they are headed.
 #1277970  by RonM

Retired M-2s. Those are used for training purposes (accidents, terrorist, etc). There's a tank car there too. You can get a good view (and ice cream) at the Dairy Cream.
 #1283541  by Larry

I was in Hartford CT today and went by the Hartford Courant where they officially closed off Flower street for all traffic. Looks like they put the switch as well as track back in to serve the Hartford Courant. This was taken out when they moved AMTRAK's right away over to fit the Busway in. Does anyone know if they are planning to receive any shipments via rail?
 #1287560  by amtrak-wnd

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the CSO bridge over the Connecticut River has always had trucks and cranes on it with people doing work. The rails along route 5 in South Windsor are very rusty and I didn't see any signs of movement. When is the bridge work supposed to be done?
 #1291777  by bwparker1

Per the CT Shortlines Yahoo Listserv.

"CSOR customers Berlin
Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:36 am (PDT) . Posted by: fortchester
Looks like Automated Materials in Berlin had their switch reconnected. This time connecting off the old Emhart siding which is now used by CWPM (as opposed to a switch directly on the Springfield line). Its been a few years since Automated used rail service out of Berlin. "
 #1291846  by fl9m2004

When I go up to Uconn to visit my brother are those tracks by mansfield depot Connecticut Southern or New England Central
The reason I'm asking is because I've only seen a train once this was on a Saturday
 #1291872  by Cosmo

bwparker1 wrote:Per the CT Shortlines Yahoo Listserv.

"CSOR customers Berlin
Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:36 am (PDT) . Posted by: fortchester
Looks like Automated Materials in Berlin had their switch reconnected. This time connecting off the old Emhart siding which is now used by CWPM (as opposed to a switch directly on the Springfield line). Its been a few years since Automated used rail service out of Berlin. "
I saw that too and I thought of you first! :wink:
 #1291881  by shadyjay

fl9m2004 wrote:When I go up to Uconn to visit my brother are those tracks by mansfield depot Connecticut Southern or New England Central
The reason I'm asking is because I've only seen a train once this was on a Saturday
Those would be NECR tracks, on its route from New London to Palmer and points north.
 #1294255  by Larry

Postby amtrak-wnd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the CSO bridge over the Connecticut River has always had trucks and cranes on it with people doing work. The rails along route 5 in South Windsor are very rusty and I didn't see any signs of movement. When is the bridge work supposed to be done?

To answer the bridge question, I just spoke to them at CSO in Hartford and they say the bridge was to be finished by this past Saturday. They are in clean up mode now and the bridge is all ready to use. Lets hope we can get some new customers on the other side with this big fix.