Railroad Forums 

• Genesee & Wyoming caboose #8

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1489218  by Benjamin Maggi

I am building a model of this style caboose (originally DL&W) and I may eventually paint it for G&W #8. I have some questions regarding this caboose.

The DL&W used different types of trucks under their cabooses, with some getting "passenger style" trucks and others getting arched bettendorf trucks. I have seen pictures of G&W #8 with both types, so apparently the G&W swapped them out at some time. (Here is a link showing the passenger trucks on it, though sadly much of the website has missing pictures: https://scotlawrence.github.io/GW/GW-St ... chive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I have seen pictures of the caboose with shades over the windows (which don't appear to be from the DL&W), with one of the windows (closest to the right when looking at one side) having a single-hung window frame, and pictures showing the smoke stack relocated. There are pictures showing at least three different paint schemes.

Does anybody have any history on the changes to this caboose, or personal stories?

I understand it is currently on display at the New York Museum of Transportation, so hopefully I will be able to get down there to take some pictures. Plans for the caboose appeared in the February 1952 issue of Model Railroader magazine.

Thanks.